**newbie** I've Found Baby Fish In My Tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ah, those are one of the bristlenose species (there are a few); they won't get to more than about 6", so they're not one of the huge ones, thank goodness!

haha one is about 2 or more inches bigger than the other though.

sorry for asking so many questions but im an alien to all of this still! Would it be okay for me to try and fish out the fry once they are born and then put them in their own fry trap? Just to make sure they definitely do survive, because the one i found and put in my diy fry trap has survived and is growing very well.

fluttermoth said:

Nothing, unless you want to set up a separate breeding tank.

Glass cats are almost impossible to breed in captivity, certainly not in a community tank where any eggs will soon be eaten, even if they do actually lay, which is quite unlikely; she'll probably reabsorb the eggs.

And i cant put her in a fry trap to have the babies because she will become stressed a likely die?

I would let her have babies and any that you see scoop them out and put them in the fry trap.  

shoshannah said:
Nothing, unless you want to set up a separate breeding tank.

Glass cats are almost impossible to breed in captivity, certainly not in a community tank where any eggs will soon be eaten, even if they do actually lay, which is quite unlikely; she'll probably reabsorb the eggs.
And i cant put her in a fry trap to have the babies because she will become stressed a likely die?
No, you can't put her in a fry trap. Apart from the fact that they are stressful for fish, because they are so small, it's because they're egg layers, not livebearers. You'd need at least two fish, a male and a female, in a tank full of fine leaved plants. The male would chase the female through the plants, she'd lay the eggs and the male would follow behind fertilising them.

ahh okay thank you so much for all your help. you've taught me a lot! :)

You're very welcome
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back