Newbe trying to cycle first tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It took 3 weeks for my ammonia to drop and 7 weeks to complete. I did not use a bacterial starter or plants, just ammonia.

@Tonlee I got so fed up with the time it took that began to wonder if our water company was just too good at killing bacteria in the water. But eventually I had a day where ammonia had started to drop and I had nitrite.
Patience is what you need now. Or maybe a bottle of Tetra Safe Start.

Keep an eye on your pH level when you do the other tests. Durham has softish water with lowish KH (like me in Teesside) and I had a pH crash during cycling after nitrite appeared. Lets us know if this happens to you as there are things you can do.

@essjay
I will keep an eye on it. I know patience is key but being my first cycle doubt creeps in that something is wrong. Thanks for advise

@essjay i just checked ph its gone down to 6.4 from 7 everything else still the same. What would you suggest to raise it?

The simplest way is by doing a water change. That will replenish the KH. I know it's a bit of a pain with a large tank. Afterward, test the ammonia level and add some more to get it back to 3 ppm.

Yay last nights test results I had movement. Nothing on ammonia yet thats detectable anyway but nitrites have finaly gone up. Was so excited made my daughter redo test just to make sure. Thank again for the coaching and advice I'm sure i will need some more soon enough.

Quick update and question.

Added second dose of ammonia on saturday night tested to co firm it raise to right level, which it did. Tonights resulta are
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nirite over 5ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
As I understand guide i now await for 2 consecutive ammonia tests of 0ppm and add snack dose?
Other question is do i just let the nitrates rise as doing water change when cycled or do i need do a partial water change to keep them in check?
Getting exciting now who would of thought testing water was so eventful and entertaining

You do not need to do a water change for nitrates. Because this method limits the amount of nitrite it also limits the amount of nitrate compared to other methods. The only reason to do a water change is if the pH drops.
At the end, you will need to do a big water change to get nitrate down to the same a s the tap water level.

Yes, wait until you've had zero ammonia, then zero ammonia again two days later and then add the snack dose (enough to get a reading of 1 ppm)

You do not need to do a water change for nitrates. Because this method limits the amount of nitrite it also limits the amount of nitrate compared to other methods. The only reason to do a water change is if the pH drops.
At the end, you will need to do a big water change to get nitrate down to the same a s the tap water level.

Yes, wait until you've had zero ammonia, then zero ammonia again two days later and then add the snack dose (enough to get a reading of 1 ppm)
The tank has had its snack dose end of last week tested 2 days running now ammonia is between oppm and .25ppm but nitrites not dropping under 2ppm.
Do i just wait till nitrites drop under 1ppm to give next amonia dose? im just worried about the ammonia bacteria starving?

If you follow the instructions to the letter, the ammonia eaters won't starve.

It takes longer for nitrite to drop as it did for the ammonia eaters.

If you follow the instructions to the letter, the ammonia eaters won't starve.

It takes longer for nitrite to drop as it did for the ammonia eaters.
Update I'm all cycled now fish are in their new home. Thanks again for walking me through this I'm sure i be back on here for more advice soon.

Most reactions

Back