New Zebra Plecos

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nice to see you got them. Looking at the picture of the tank I would suggest you add a piece of wood which they can hide under/in. Zebras love to hide and to be able to bolt under cover when they feel threatened. The saying is a happy zebra is a hiding zebra. Let me leave you with this quote from zebrapleco.com:

The floor of the Xingu is primarily made up of rounded rocks, crevices and a sandy substrate, allowing Hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from predators.

Lovely fish. Do they need bogwood to assist digestion like other plecs?

I believe about 3.5 inches, but they are about £100 each, although I have seen them at about £80. This is due to them being banned from export from their native Brazil I believe, due to declining numbers. TBH, I feel that we should only bring in a few new species in order to breed them, before them becoming widely available to the aquarium trade, but that is probably a whole new topic ;) I love them, yet outside my budget for now.
http://www.zebrapleco.com/core/hypancistrus_species_info.php

Good luck with them, I hope they breed for you.

TwoTankAmin said:
Nice to see you got them. Looking at the picture of the tank I would suggest you add a piece of wood which they can hide under/in. Zebras love to hide and to be able to bolt under cover when they feel threatened. The saying is a happy zebra is a hiding zebra. Let me leave you with this quote from zebrapleco.com:

The floor of the Xingu is primarily made up of rounded rocks, crevices and a sandy substrate, allowing Hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from predators.
Did you see the pipe with the moss growing on it? I thought the plecos can hide under the pipe and behind the big plant at the corner of the tank. the plecos seem to enjoy hiding behind the plant, under the pipes and between the rocks.
Did you notice the pipe? Or do you think there should be more hiding spots?
Thanks!

Just because I am such a nudge.

All fish are banned for export in Brazil except those on the Permitted List. Zebras are not on that list.

They do not eat wood.

Zebrapleco.com has decent info but is not hugely active. Planetcatfish is owned by the same person who owns zp.com. and also has good information.

This is what my breeder tanks looked like in 2007:
i-bQhtW8w-M.jpg

It is a 36x18x13 inch 30 gal. Breeder tank. At one time it held 13 adults and about 55 assorted offsrping and people would ask why I had an empty tank
smile.png

It has not had plants in it for about 5  or 6 years now.

RCA said:
I believe about 3.5 inches, but they are about £100 each, although I have seen them at about £80. This is due to them being banned from export from their native Brazil I believe, due to declining numbers. TBH, I feel that we should only bring in a few new species in order to breed them, before them becoming widely available to the aquarium trade, but that is probably a whole new topic ;) I love them, yet outside my budget for now.
http://www.zebrapleco.com/core/hypancistrus_species_info.php
Good luck with them, I hope they breed for you.
Actually, in Bangkok there's this huge fish market that sells almost every fish, you name it. They sell fishes for cheap prices too. One zebra Pleco at this fish market costs 2800THB=51pounds=79USD
I lucked out

This market sells sturgeon, lungfish and paddlefish PADDLEFISH

I really like your Zebra Pleco! I saw one at my LFS yesterday, they are so pretty!

The cheapest one I've seen around were I live and online is 300$ I want one so bad but I would rather buy a new tank lol nice tank!

I can honestly say I've never seen or even heard of them before!

They are gorgeous little things though but slightly out of my price range, my hubby would have a fit!!!

guppiegirlie said:
I can honestly say I've never seen or even heard of them before!
They are gorgeous little things though but slightly out of my price range, my hubby would have a fit!!!
I didn't know about them till a few weeks ago but for me a bit out of my prove range is 20$ per fish lol

20 years ago I used to sell them for about $30.00. I haven't priced them recently nor have I seen them when I'm browsing the latest stock at the big store near me. It's probably my favorite pleco. I really like black and white contrast. It's reflected in that guy in my avi image that I raised.

They are expensive for a combination of reasons:

1. They only live in one section of one river in Brazil.
2. The Belo Monte dam under construction is likely to wipe them out.
3. They are not legal to export from Brazil.
4. They take several years to reach spawning age.
5. They have small spawns, 15 fry is a very good spawn.
6. They can be difficult to get started breeding.

In all the years have have been selling them my prices never approached those in this thread. But I normally do not sell adults.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back