New World Cichlids with Gouramis???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

OscarCichlid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I love cichlids and gouramis and would like to add some cichlids to my gourami tank. Rams are to small and will be either killed by my extremely aggressive gouramis or eaten by my large channel cat. I was looking on liveaquaria.com and it has Firemouth and Rainbow cichlids labeled as Semi-Aggressive. Will they be ok with Blue, Gold, and Opaline Gouramis??

I have a 55 gallon with mainly cichlids in it. When I first put a firemouth in, I also tried putting 2 gouramis in (I don't remember what kinds). Both of them were half eaten by the next day. Not to discourage you. Cichlids are great, just in my experience, they don't mix well with gouramis.
-Lightning

man i aint no expert like some of the dudes on this forum, but i have two blue gouramis about 3 - 3.5 inches long and i recently added two albino tiger oscars about half the size.

at first they where kinda scared of the blue gouramis, but about 2 days later they where takin food out of the gouramis mouths and fighting for food. i had to practically scare the oscars into one corner to get some food to the gouramis.

now the oscars are about the same size if not a little bigger then the gouramis and they chase them round but its different....like they swim really casually up to the gouramis and the gouramis sort of realise that they are commin and swim off...its never really violent or fast, and ive never seen them really fight or bit eachother except for when feeding, and even then its not bad at all. ive seen far far worse aggresion.

i might just be lucky. having the gourmis in the tank first and then introducting the oscars later on i think helped.
who knows i mite run into probs when the oscars get bigger but at the moment they are awesome together.

and how luckys this, i got two blue gouramis and they turned out to be male and female (perfect pair), then i got two hoplo cats same thing (male and female pair), then i got two oscars (male and female).
they all just stick in their pairs and sort of do their own thing.

sorry for the long post. hope some of it helps.

matt.

Yea, Oscars arent aggressive but they grow fast and eat anything that will fit in there mouths. Now my gouramis are all full grown and will be bigger or equale size to any firemouth or rainbow cichlid that i put in the tank. Also my gouramis are extremely overaggressive and unfortanatly have killed a great Mbuna Cichlid.

OscarCichlid said:
I love cichlids and gouramis and would like to add some cichlids to my gourami tank. Rams are to small and will be either killed by my extremely aggressive gouramis or eaten by my large channel cat. I was looking on liveaquaria.com and it has Firemouth and Rainbow cichlids labeled as Semi-Aggressive. Will they be ok with Blue, Gold, and Opaline Gouramis??
I think you may be o.k. with that , stay away from breeding pairs of cichlids . Channel cats get pretty big , I've seen them over a foot long , and think they may even get bigger . ,I have kept blue gouramis with fire mouths , not rainbows[ 70 gal with other fish] . If you do it keep an eye out . If you have problems take them out and bring um back

come on bird man... there is no might about it... plz get those fish in different tanks. Thats like rasing a baby aligator with your dog.

I have to agree with Adrinal. My oscar would have rammed my gouramis to death if I had them in the same tank. My gouramis are wimps. But, my oscar was also aggressive.

Most reactions

Back