New Uarus- Pics Too At Last.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks :) Pity Southampton is miiiiiles away from me, seems to have some good fish there :)

Yeah, we do pretty well here. Although the shops are all spread pretty widely, and all are well out of the city centre. Without a car, I'd be stuffed !

Love these fish. Bought 4, with the intention of trying to get a pair, about 9 months ago and i'm just sitting here watching two big uarus gently sucking up errant wrigglers and spitting them back into a little hollow in some bogwood to keep them safe. Pretty cool to watch, dunno if any will survive as they are in a community tank but the parents are by far the biggest of the residents and are doing a fine job so far! :good:

Oh and as for potential tankmates, as far as I'm concerned Angels are perfect. When I bought my lil U's they hid away barely coming out at all but literally as soon as I put a few angels of roughly the same size (at the time..defo not any longer!) they came out and the lot of them swam about together.

Love these fish. Bought 4, with the intention of trying to get a pair, about 9 months ago and i'm just sitting here watching two big uarus gently sucking up errant wrigglers and spitting them back into a little hollow in some bogwood to keep them safe. Pretty cool to watch, dunno if any will survive as they are in a community tank but the parents are by far the biggest of the residents and are doing a fine job so far! :good:

Excellent ! How aggressive (or not) were the parents with the other tank members through the whole spawning thing ??

Excellent ! How aggressive (or not) were the parents with the other tank members through the whole spawning thing ??
I would say they were very defensive more than aggressive if you know what I mean? They picked their corner and set up camp but it wasn't (and still isn't) like they were chasing everything about the tank. After saying that there isn't really anything big enough to pose them any threat...

Came home today and I had a quick look and was gutted not to see a single wriggler left round the bogwood with the female! Soon cheered up though when I noticed about 40 free swimming fry hovering round the big male about a foot away up the tank! :D Don't want to move the fry too early, 1 because they look so delicate and 2 because it's very interesting to watch but at the same time I'd like even to get some past the "looks like a tasty snack" size...

I would say they were very defensive more than aggressive if you know what I mean? They picked their corner and set up camp but it wasn't (and still isn't) like they were chasing everything about the tank. After saying that there isn't really anything big enough to pose them any threat...

Came home today and I had a quick look and was gutted not to see a single wriggler left round the bogwood with the female! Soon cheered up though when I noticed about 40 free swimming fry hovering round the big male about a foot away up the tank! :D Don't want to move the fry too early, 1 because they look so delicate and 2 because it's very interesting to watch but at the same time I'd like even to get some past the "looks like a tasty snack" size...

I think I've read that (like Discus) the fry feed of the mucous coat of the parents. Have you seen that ?

Sadly all the fry got eaten by various members of the tank but I'll have a better idea next time when to seperate them from the parents. We live and learn...

Sadly all the fry got eaten by various members of the tank but I'll have a better idea next time when to seperate them from the parents. We live and learn...
Well a few weeks down the line and another batch of fry... They've been free swimming now for a full week and the parents have been taking excellent care of them. They're growing pretty quickly and I think they're getting near the size where I could seperate them and feed them on powdered flake. My head says to do this but it really is fascinting to watch them with the parents...

Well a few weeks down the line and another batch of fry... They've been free swimming now for a full week and the parents have been taking excellent care of them. They're growing pretty quickly and I think they're getting near the size where I could seperate them and feed them on powdered flake. My head says to do this but it really is fascinting to watch them with the parents...

Outstanding !

Love to see some pics of parents and fry !

Outstanding !

Love to see some pics of parents and fry !
Yeah I'll have to steal the daugthers camera at some stage, I tried with my phone but they've retreated to the end with floating plants so the lighting is pretty grim...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back