New Tropical Tank Set Up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PandorasPool

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this Forum and new to keeping Tropical Fish although not new to fish keeping.
I've just recently set up my 100L tank (2 weeks ago) and thinking of having Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubius plants in my tank. Can anyone advise me on which Liquid Fertiliser to feed them please? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

im pretty new too. Ive been using seachem flourish. about once a week. but im sure others have cheaper options. 

Ok thank you, where would be the best place to buy it?

i got it from a local fish store. petsmart probably has it. its pretty common stuff so most probably carry it or another brand. Byron is a member here that is very helpful on stuff like this.

Thank you, I will look up Byron. I will have a look for the Seachem too. You have helpful. Thank you ☺

I came upon this thread after I replied to a PM from PandorasPool, so for the benefit of others I will just paste my response here.

Java Fern and Anubias are slow-growing, so this means they will need less light intensity and similarly less nutrient fertilization.  We refer to the balance between light and nutrients, and the goal is to find the balance for the plants in the aquarium so they are benefited but algae is not.  Sometimes you will have sufficient natural nutrients in the tank itself, between the water changes (replenishing some minerals) and fish foods, and not being too thorough in cleaning into the substrate [the breakdown of organics in the substrate by bacteria will provide most of the CO2 and many nutrients for plants].  I have very soft water, so I need to add fertilizer, though I have higher-need plants mixed in which really demand fertilizer.

The first basic fertilizer to use is a comprehensive liquid one, meaning that it contains most all the essential nutrients.  These will be in proportion to each other, which is also important for plants and in preventing nuisance algae.  I am presently using Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and have been for more than 7 years now.  Another equally good is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti.  You use very little of either of these, and probably only once a week after the water change.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back