New to the hobby

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi Mondaine :)

Welcome to the forum. :flowers:

What seems to be the problem you're having? :dunno:

:hi: I sure am glad people find this site for help. I now it helped me and I have helped others. Ask any question and you will get a response proto!
J.R.

Well as I said I have my tank ready to go, I hope anyways. I used this water conditioner that takes care of the chlorine, and chloramine and other harmful metals in the water and so on. But also our water here isn't really safe to drink they send letters out all the time. Also the Petland in my city uses the same water and they say it is very hard. Should I buy a water test kit, is it something I should buy or are they just trying to make a sale. Its $35 and I have been waiting to get my fish now for about a week and I hate waiting, but I don't want to kill them either. Also I was wondering if I bought for example bottle water (spring) if that would be better than tap water, if that would keep me from using all the chemicals?

Thanks for all your help, I think I need a book called Fishtanks for dummies!
:thumbs:

Are you saying the municipal water (tap water) is unsafe (eek) or well water?????

As far as a water test kit, you absolutely need one to test for Ammonia & Nitrites (deadly). Also recommended is Nitrates (not so deadly but not healthy in high concentration) and a Ph test.

As far as bottled water, spring water is normally alkaline (something about bicarbonates in the water) and hard (minerals are one of the reasons true spring water is valued by humans *and my kitties*) I used to use distilled water before I got my water purifier.

I get by without the test kits. I don't treat fishkeeping as though it's such a scientific process. I haven't lost very many fish, and those that I have either gave birth or were handled improperly before I got them.

In your case, though, it is a must. You might want to go for the hard/alkaline fish if you want to try using your tap water. Otherwise you'll have to dish out a lot more money for distilled water from a store.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back