New To Pond Fish - Help Me Decide, And A Discovery :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phishyphil

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi there

Well, Ive been around the tropical scene for several years now and always wanted to go cold water, however just never had the room. Now however I have just moved into our new home and to my delight, there is a pond already installed, with pump and filter box there.

Now the previous owner did not maintain this pond in any form or fashion. The pump was unplugged with all the piping bagged up, the water was green and sludgy and ivy had inhabited the rockery surrounding the pond and was hanging into the water. There was fish alive in there, from what I could see from the limited visibility. She did inform me that she had not fed them in over a year 
noexpression.gif

Had to sort this out. First things first, I drained the pond, which took a great deal of time as i had only one 12litre bucket, with it being a new house and the usual "things going missing" scenario.

I made out that there was to fish in the pond, so proceeded to reduce the water in the pond, and sure enough, two fish came out, from what i can make out they are WAKIN and are of good size. Id hazzard a guess they are around 4-5" in length. Quite beefy too. Looked in relatively good shape, must of been surviving of the algae.

I proceeded to empty the water only to be startled by a thrashing in the water, there was another fish! this time, another Wakin, however only around the 3" size in white. Then another fish, however this one was not so lucky, it was dead on the bottom, around 5-6". Couldn't say how long it had been gone. 

Anyway, after the water was out, i scrubbed the sludge off the lining, and ripped out the ivy in the rockery, will plant some nice heather in there I think. Next the bottom of the pond was filled with play sand to help make the fish stand out. Pond Re filled and fish added later on (They were housed in an old 3' tank overnight).

So now my question is, should I add anymore into here? will they go well with comets etc? or should I put something else in there? how many etc?

Will they go well with lillys? the little girl is obsessed. 

The Pond
Shape : Rectangle
Size : 54" Long x 43 " Wide by 16" Deep
Volume: 135 Gallons UK
               160 Gallons US
                600 Litres

Raised pond. 

Thank you in advance

Though it takes a long time the Wakin can grow over a foot long so really I recommend just using the fish you have.

Besides that's a very hardy and good tempered fish that is known to respond to it's owners at feeding time so, quite fun. The pond really isn't all that large so you are limited, in my opinion, to very hardy fish like the Wakin.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back