New To Exotic Fish

brynneth

Reaction score
hi, i have a problem with my african butterfly fish and im not quite sure, but this seemed like the place to post this, if not please let me know. i got him about two weeks ago and put him in my cycled tank with a few other new fish. i have since learned that some of my fish are not suited for this tank, but none of them are aggresive and i am setting up seperate ones for them as soon as possible. my butterfly fish hasnt eaten much at all since i got him. by all acounts he should be vacuming up the food, so that concerned me. i have tried crickets, and small catterpilars, and floating foods, (flake and pellet). none of it seems to catch his fancy. he went after a cricket once but he spat it out. he also had one ragged fin when i purchased him, one of his "wings". i thought it would heal but it hasnt and the other fins are starting to look equaly rough. i noticed today that his tail is no longer clear where it should be but has gone milky. it doesnt look like ick or velvet and he has no sores on his body although he did have one small reddish one on his tail when i got him home. it isnt there anymore. the tank is not as warm as it should be because i was stupid anough to buy a hillstream loach and the people at the store didnt warn me that although it was in with the tropical fish there, it needed colder temps. i have it at about 74-76 degrees right now. i know thats too hot for the loach and a bit cold for the rest of my fish but the loach will be out of there soon and in his own setup as soon as possible, he actualy seems fine with the temp for now. i tested my water about a week ago and everything was in the safe range but im going to test it again tomorrow to see if it has changed since then. sorry about the long post, i really like my fish and im trying to make sure they all survive my initial mistakes.

i just wanted to add that i have some elodea that spreads across the surface of my tank so he has a hiding place but i also have it set so that my filter causes a weak current across the surface of the water. maybe reducing that would help him detect food? i read that he needed the food to float right across his line of sight unless there was no surface current in which case he would be able to sense vibrations better. i also tried flies and moths today and he wasnt interested. i could add some duckweed or something like that for him to hide in so he feels more secure and move my filter down lower so he gets less current. does that seem like a good plan? also i dont know how to adjust the water so that it is right for him, hardness vs. softness, etc. i could use help with that so i can fix it if i need to.

Most reactions

Back