New to Cory catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

o h culp

Reaction score
I recently bought three Cory catfish small gray with black spots don't know what they're called and put them in with two mystery snails in my 5 gallon Fluval tank. Is this going to be enough room for all of them? Oneof my snails is already acting extremely sick and I'm afraid I'm going to lose him. Is this what is consider as overstocked aquarium?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

What sort of filter do you have on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How long have you had the fish for?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

-------------------------
The tank probably isn't going to be big enough long term. However, they will be fine for a bit.

The best thing to do if a fish gets sick is water changes and gravel cleaning.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the problem is identified or resolved.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The following link has info on what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

What sort of filter do you have on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How long have you had the fish for?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

The tank probably isn't going to be big enough long term. However, they will be fine for a bit.

The best thing to do if a fish gets sick is water changes and gravel cleaning.
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the problem is identified or resolved.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The following link has info on what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

The filter is the one that came w/the Fluval it was a complete set = sponge filter, carbon pack & ceramic media pack. I clean it maybe every other pwc or some times w/each pwc in the aquarium water I've siphoned out when cleaning gravel. I've had the cory catfish now for about 1-2 weeks & the only occupants in the tank prior to the fish were my 2 Mystery snails that I've since removed b/c the cc were bullying them terribly. I thought I was getting peaceful "nice" fish. I'm not very fond or impressed w/ the cc's. Just a note I put Seachem's Prime in the fresh water w/ every pwc so there should have been no Chlorine/chloramine however, my API water kit does not test for those.

The filter is the one that came w/the Fluval it was a complete set = sponge filter, carbon pack & ceramic media pack. I clean it maybe every other pwc or some times w/each pwc in the aquarium water I've siphoned out when cleaning gravel. I've had the cory catfish now for about 1-2 weeks & the only occupants in the tank prior to the fish were my 2 Mystery snails that I've since removed b/c the cc were bullying them terribly. I thought I was getting peaceful "nice" fish. I'm not very fond or impressed w/ the cc's. Just a note I put Seachem's Prime in the fresh water w/ every pwc so there should have been no Chlorine/chloramine however, my API water kit does not test for those.

Corydoras catfish cannot/do not bully anything. They have a natural browsing behaviour and will browse every surface they find including snails and sometimes other fish. They are probably the most "friendly" fish there are.

You do have an issue though, and that is you need more of them than just three. At least five or six, with a few more than that being better for the cories. Obviously a 5 gallon tank is not going to allow this, so you should move them to the 10g or a larger tank. Or, if you really do not like them, return them or give them to another aquarist who can provide what they need.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back