New To Co2... Help Please On Buying A Kit

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have decided to re-start my tank and go for a planted aquarium. I have a 190 litre tank with flora base substrate currently though thinking of swapping this for a white sandy look in the form of unipac or similar.

I have bought a number of started style plants such as vallis, java fern, elodea, ludiwig, glossostigma and have currently tried using a DIY style co2 set up though to be honest its pretty poor and i dont know what i am doing! I have one on a timer and the other just running straight into my tank with no timer, though i dont even know what if anything is being 'pumped' into the tank as cant see bubbles etc...

I am interested in getting a pressurised though am worried that it could explode or something in the house? Also i am working to a budget so cant spend a great deal, would ideally like something around £40 mark but am not good at doing a DIY and would prefer a 'kit' providing it will work?

Please could people suggest and help me out here. I found the fluval 88g kit as such - but would prefer something a bit cheaper if available?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluval-Pressurized-CO2-88g-Kit-Planted-Aquariums-/250933630455?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a6ccf55f7#ht_1661wt_922

do these kits need replacing often? can i have a timer to set it on off? do i need this? what more should i consider?

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks
hexy

Just to add these are the plants I have currently bought - any help on ferts too would be helpful....

java fern
crypto
vallis
elodea
Glossostigma
Arcuata
ambulia

Already my ambulia and glossostigma are struggling in my tank and are going brown, only after a week :(

Hi all.

I have decided to re-start my tank and go for a planted aquarium. I have a 190 litre tank with flora base substrate currently though thinking of swapping this for a white sandy look in the form of unipac or similar.

I have bought a number of started style plants such as vallis, java fern, elodea, ludiwig, glossostigma and have currently tried using a DIY style co2 set up though to be honest its pretty poor and i dont know what i am doing! I have one on a timer and the other just running straight into my tank with no timer, though i dont even know what if anything is being 'pumped' into the tank as cant see bubbles etc...

I am interested in getting a pressurised though am worried that it could explode or something in the house? Also i am working to a budget so cant spend a great deal, would ideally like something around £40 mark but am not good at doing a DIY and would prefer a 'kit' providing it will work?

Please could people suggest and help me out here. I found the fluval 88g kit as such - but would prefer something a bit cheaper if available?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluval-Pressurized-CO2-88g-Kit-Planted-Aquariums-/250933630455?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a6ccf55f7#ht_1661wt_922

do these kits need replacing often? can i have a timer to set it on off? do i need this? what more should i consider?

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks
hexy

Hexy,

The 88g cannister supplied with the fluval would only last you a couple weeks if even that on a 190 litre tank. THe refills for it are very expensive in comparison to a co2 fire extinguisher for example. I have a co2 fire extinguisher connected to a tmc regulator+solenoid (http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/tmc-v2-pressure-regulator-pro-with-solenoid-valve-din477-p-3702.html). although a bit over you target expenditure it is a very good piece of kit for the money. I spoke to a FE dealer who was able to provide me with 4 FE's for £50 GBP, these four will last me years!!

I tried DIY Co2 for a few months, its nearly impossible to keep the co2 level high and constant. variations in the co2 levels will encourage some types of algae growth.....splash out on a kit

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back