New To Cichlids...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had that problem when I added aragonite sand to my tank. I finally gave up on trying to rinse it and just added it to the tank. It took around 3 days to completely clear up, and I haven't had a problem since, even with the mbuna trying to dig to China. :fun:

I am in the process of trying to decide what filter to get for this tank. I plan on getting it ordered in the next few days. If my new debit card ever gets here. I had to change my account, and I have not gotten my card yet. Mail order doesn't work very well without a card. I am still undecided on which filter any way. I can't afford to spend too much. I still have a lot to get for this tank, and another one that I am setting up. I am leaning toward getting 2 hob power filters. That way I can put one on each side. I was thinking that might keep it a little cleaner. I think I need to find a few more rocks too.

Suggestions on filters would be great. Also the best low priced places to get them in the states would be very helpful. I have been looking at Fosters and Smith and That Pet Place. I am going to check Big Al's too.

I have got to decide soon. I need to order food and stuff too. I have got to make an order this week so I don't run out. I want to order everything at the same time to save on shipping.

I am in the process of trying to decide what filter to get for this tank. I plan on getting it ordered in the next few days. If my new debit card ever gets here. I had to change my account, and I have not gotten my card yet. Mail order doesn't work very well without a card. I am still undecided on which filter any way. I can't afford to spend too much. I still have a lot to get for this tank, and another one that I am setting up. I am leaning toward getting 2 hob power filters. That way I can put one on each side. I was thinking that might keep it a little cleaner. I think I need to find a few more rocks too.

Suggestions on filters would be great. Also the best low priced places to get them in the states would be very helpful. I have been looking at Fosters and Smith and That Pet Place. I am going to check Big Al's too.

I have got to decide soon. I need to order food and stuff too. I have got to make an order this week so I don't run out. I want to order everything at the same time to save on shipping.

The best HOB filters on the market IMO are Aquaclear. You could get two 70's or even 110's to take care of the tank pretty well, however in comparison to other HOB's they aren't the cheapest, so it might be worthwhile looking into other alternatives, or even a cheap canister.

I can't help you out with regards to where you can find a good price :(

I fully agree about the Aquaclears, they are IMO the best HOB's made. Even though they cost a little more than other HOB's they are definately worth the money. And with the overstocking with most mbuna, you really need to have good filtration. :good:

Filters may be sorted. I may be getting a couple from Tolak. :hyper: I am just waiting to hear back from him. :good:

I am finishing up the stand for my smaller tanks now. Then I will start getting the one for the big tanks done. This tank will run on the floor for now. I figure that will be ok while I work the milk out of the substrate and decide about the rocks and stuff that will go in it. Then When the stand is ready I will do the final placements and get it ready for the fish. I still have a long way to go before it is ready for fish.

I have always rushed through this part of setting up a tank, because I couldn't wait to see the fish swimming around. I have finally learned that it is better to go slow and work out things as I go. It is tons better not having to worry about what to do with fish while you fix a problem or get the rest of the stuff...

I now have...
55g tank
limestone substrate
egg crate in the bottom
lid and lights
filters coming soon
a few large and med size rocks (still unidentified)
heater

What am I missing? Is there anything else that I am not thinking of that I will need to get the tank put together?

Thanks for helping. :good:

It is going to be a while before this tank gets done.
My husband accidentally ran into it last night and broke it. :shout: :sick:

I either have to replace the side glass or get another tank. :crazy:

My head hurts every time I think about it! It is posted in the diy section if you care to see it.

Thanks for helping. I will get back here as soon as the tank situation is sorted. :good:

It is going to be a while before this tank gets done.
My husband accidentally ran into it last night and broke it. :shout: :sick:

I either have to replace the side glass or get another tank. :crazy:

My head hurts every time I think about it! It is posted in the diy section if you care to see it.

Thanks for helping. I will get back here as soon as the tank situation is sorted. :good:

Oh no!!! Sounds like you need to husband-proof your house (good luck with that)! :lol:

How in the samhill did he do that??? :hyper: and how much did you kick his butt??!!!

so when your back around to HOB's aquaclears are by far the best AND most economic, the $$$ you fork out on filter cartriges on other models you save w/ AQ's because of the sponges that are easy to just ring out, I ring mine out into my houseplants, talk about fertilizer!! whoohooo! sponges will last easily a year, I even double up and stack em high in the filters.

might as well buy a new tank, resealing is much harder then you think, I dont care what anyone says either, it aint easy!

I still just want to cry!
I had it out in the floor so I could reach in it. I was playing with the rocks trying to figure out a way to arrange them that looked good. He walked into it in the dark. It was late and he forgot it was there.
If I can't reseal it (he is going to help me) then he says he will buy me another one some how. We really don't have the money to buy a new one though. I have to try to fix this one. The only reason I got this one was that I got it on sale. This is why I am still wanting to cry!
I didn't kick his butt. I kept quiet. Apparently that was worse. He knows how much I love my tanks. I was trying to be nice because I knew that he already felt bad, but my trying to be nice apparently ate him up.
We are going to work on it later today. I guess I will find out soon how hard it is going to be...

I will let you know how it goes.

If you get time... the thread is in diy section. There is a link to a pic that shows some of the rocks in the broken tank. I still need to know what they are. Could some one look and see if you can tell?

Thanks again.

I'm getting a clue now... :crazy:
I am having a lot of trouble getting the top frame off so I can get the glass out.
I am through for tonight. I will work on it more in the morning. This could take a while.
:blink:

The only advice I can give you in terms of resealing is to definitely apply more than a single line along the inside of the tank :rolleyes:

I made the mistake of letting someone "fix" one of the tank seams on a platy tank at work, and well... the entire back wall cracked off the thing at about 3am. Needless to say me and my supervisor were not impressed and have re-sealed it 3 times over to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I do like to err on the cautious side. I wil try to make sure I get plenty on it.

I finally got the top frame off. The problem is that I cracked it in the process. Now I need to order a new one.
I needed to order some food and things any way. Now I just have to find one... :good:

I hope I don't mess up anything else! :crazy:

I am still hunting a top frame for this tank. I may have to give up and put some jb weld on the old one. I called another pet shop today. I am waiting for them to get back with me to let me know if they can get it or not.
All this waiting is getting on my nerves! :shout:

I am back. I was unable to fix the 55g.
I now have a 60g (bought from Wendywc on here) I am getting it cleaned up and ready to set up. The glass on this one is much thicker so maybe it will be safe... lol

Now I need to try to get my plans figured out again. I have forgotten what all I had decided.
I did get some aquaclear filters from Tolak... so that is covered.

Suggestions...
Thanks
Amanda

I am back. I was unable to fix the 55g.
I now have a 60g (bought from Wendywc on here) I am getting it cleaned up and ready to set up. The glass on this one is much thicker so maybe it will be safe... lol

Now I need to try to get my plans figured out again. I have forgotten what all I had decided.
I did get some aquaclear filters from Tolak... so that is covered.

Suggestions...
Thanks
Amanda

Nice to see you back, and with a bigger tank, and hopefully and more careful husband. :lol:

What species can you get locally, or are you going to order online? There are so many to choose from, so I'll suggest what NOT to get. Avoid all melanochromis species as they are too aggressive for a smaller tank, and m.lombardoi for the same reason. I'd also skip on p.acei & p.crabro because both get up to 7" and really like their swimming space. Other than that, let us know what you like and we'll go from there. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back