New To Brackish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Tank dimensions - 32"x14"x18"
135L (30 imp G)

Hey, was thinking of setting up a brackish tank for some puffers for the tank discribed above.
I really just want to know the main basics as i havn't kept brackish before.
Which salt should I use? Filtration (is an external needed)?

Also, is it possible to keep bubblebee gobys with puffer, was thinking of green spotted or fig8.

Thanks!!
Meg

Tank dimensions - 32"x14"x18"
135L (30 imp G)

Hey, was thinking of setting up a brackish tank for some puffers for the tank discribed above.
I really just want to know the main basics as i havn't kept brackish before.
Which salt should I use? Filtration (is an external needed)?

Also, is it possible to keep bubblebee gobys with puffer, was thinking of green spotted or fig8.

Thanks!!
Meg

You need marine salt, you will also need a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure the salinity in the water. Any filtration is fine although none of my Puffers liked a fast current in the water so I found externals with spray bars far more to the fish's liking. bright lighting was also disliked by mine so I tended to have floating plants to create darkened areas.

Have a look at Neale's site its got a great little SG calculator which is a excellent help to starting a brackish tank, Specific Gravity is variable by temperature so depending what temp your water is at will depend on how much salt you will need to create the SG you want.

You will need a large bucket to mix your water changes over night with a heater so that when you come to add it to the tank its already to tank temperature and also at the correct SG, although changes in SG arent that much of an issue with Puffers as they are robust when it comes to water specifics.

As for the Puffer id go with the Fig8 they are far nicer to look at, stay smaller and less nippy. Plus my Figs lived in total harmony with my Bumblebee Gobies

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back