New tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

D Smith

Reaction score
Hi all ,I'm guessing this question has been asked many times before but here goes ...

My wife really likes the look of the Bio-orb Life tank 30ltr as it's "funky" , I'd rather go a little larger but not necessarily a Bio-orb.
Any other recommendations for a Smart looking tank (cubed best) due to space in kitchen .
I've had a 3ft tank years ago but not had fish since .
Ideally I'd like a small shoal of Tetra or similar ,a small Catfish and one other different fish that's happy to mix but also happy solo .

Thanks for reading and any advice ,cheers

Tetras as shoalers require long tanks of at least 24 inches so id avoid square tanks for tetras.
An 8 gallon tank isnt really suitable for many shoaling fish.
Maybe look into some nano species like endlers if not that a betta would do well in an 8 gallon.

Thanks for quick reply , I should have mentioned the water is hard in my area ,guess that will affect my choice too ?.
Cheers

Thanks for quick reply , I should have mentioned the water is hard in my area ,guess that will affect my choice too ?.
Cheers
No worries, yup if hard water stick to livebearers like guppies and endlers, tetras and rasboras like the chili rasbora require soft water.
You could do some endlers some shrimp and a snail or two, the shrimp and snails will love the hard water

Male only enders. If you get females the tank will be over populated in no time. Even with just females, if they've ever been in a tank with a male, they'll still have fry for up to 6 months.

Thanks ,if male only I'm assuming the shop will filter the ladies out ?.
Could I put a solo fish with the Ender's or am I going to be overstocked ...
Any thoughts on the tank my wife likes ?
Cheers

Thanks ,if male only I'm assuming the shop will filter the ladies out ?.
Could I put a solo fish with the Ender's or am I going to be overstocked ...
Any thoughts on the tank my wife likes ?
Cheers
Correct, most stores keep males and females apart so they dont end up with millions of babies. Im not sure of a single fish that could be in an 8 gallon hard water tank other than a pea puffer but itll shred your endlers and guppies and eat shrimp and snails, they really belong in a species only tank. Ive never had a bio orb but if its circular most tanks that are round arent really suitable for most fish because they dont have enough surface area for beneficial bacteria or bottom dwelling fish and lack the length for fish to swim back and forth.

Correct, most stores keep males and females apart so they dont end up with millions of babies. Im not sure of a single fish that could be in an 8 gallon hard water tank other than a pea puffer but itll shred your endlers and guppies and eat shrimp and snails, they really belong in a species only tank. Ive never had a bio orb but if its circular most tanks that are round arent really suitable for most fish because they dont have enough surface area for beneficial bacteria or bottom dwelling fish and lack the length for fish to swim back and forth.
Cool thanks ,it's more a taller cube , definitely not wanting a round one because of the poor surface area .Thanks for your helpful advice

I agree with those above, I picked up some feeder guppies to help silent/planted cycle a tank. They were just fry and later I found out I had 1 male and 7 females. In 3-4 months I ended up with over 80 fry in my 30 gallon tank.

For cube tanks the fluval flex is nice and cheaper than the biorb. It comes in a 57 or 34 litre version. The other tank I looked at before getting the flex 57 was the aqua one nano which is the same size (40x40x40cm). There are others in a similar size too.

most stores keep males and females apart so they dont end up with millions of babies
In the UK they keep males and females in the same tank, there are often babies in livebearer tanks.
Male endlers are small and colourful; female endlers are larger and plain grey with maybe a hint of colour on the tail.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back