New Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mike C

Reaction score
I just picked up a 30 gallon tank and would like to know if I should start by providing species that clean the sides and such? I saw this somewhere, and was wondering if it is an important step?
Thanks in advance for advice. :D

Mike
SVI

HI MIKE, I T00 AM QUITE NEW TO THIS AND I FIND THAT WE ALL MUST MAKE MISTAKES IN THIS HOBBY!!! I HAVE HAD A 42 GALLON TANK FOR 3 MONTHS AND I MUST ADMIT THAT I BOUGHT 3 PLECOS AFTER 2 WEEKS! I WAS TOLD THIS WAS A MISTAKE AS THEY LOVE ALGAE, I WAS THEN TOLD TO LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE TO ACTIVATE THE ALGAE, WELL 3 MONTHS ON AND THE PLECS ARE DOING VERY WELL AND GROWING FAST, I DO HAVE A LOT OF REAL PLANTS THAT THEY LIKE TO SUCK ON BUT DO NO DAMAGE, THEY ALSO SUCK ON THE GLASS, FILTER, HEATER AND DRIFTWOOD, IN MY EXPERIENCE THESE FISH ARE FINE, OR I MAY HAVE BEEN LUCKY, ENJOY THIS LOVELY HOBBY GOOD LUCK :D

Although plecos do eat algea they do ned to have their diets supplemented with live and frozen foods as well,also many require bogwood in the tank to rasp on as this also forms a part of their diet.
As a rule plecs should be the last fish you add to a new set up,particualy the fancy ones as they can be very sensative to water quality.

The best species to clean the glass on the tank is Human. :D

Plecos are more a bottom feeder/forager. They eat far more than algae as CFC suggests.

Most reactions

Back