New Tank

poisongirl

New Member
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have just collected my new tank (2nd hand)
It's 4ft (31 gal) with a surface area of 3716 cm squared.


I just have a few questions about it.
I have a heater that is for a 90 litre tank in my cupboard. Instead of buying a bigger heater can I just buy another one the same and put both in?
What light gives off the least heat?
And what size filter do I need? I am considering getting an external one.

3D background- can I attach the heaters to it as long as the glass is not touching the plastic or should I just have the heaters at each end? And can I make wee holes in the 3D background and poke some plants through as long as there no way fish can get through?
How do you join 3D background? i can't get a bit long enough. Can I just attach a tall plant in front of the join?

I am doing away with my bridge and plastic tunnel, I want it to look natural. Is there a particular kind of stone I should use and how do I make sure it is clean? And can I use driftwood or is it just bogwood I should use?

I will be setting the tank up next to my existing tank so when I do a water change on that one it goes into the big one. How long should I cycle it for?

Last question, what slightly bigger fish can i put with my guppies and platys?


Ok that was more than a few but any advice appreciated! :)
 
lots of questions!

ok first of all you should be fine with 2 smaller heaters in a way its better as if one fails the other is a back up, but being that small it wouldnt do a great job. i would just buy a bigger one.

as for the light giving off least heat, the lowest watt normally. but dont worry about that, wont make a difference as your heaters will cut out when it gets to the right temp anyways.

Filter wise something like the tetratec EX700 would be suitable depending on whats in the tank, planting ect. generally the bigger the better though as long as you can slow down the flow or have a spray bar so the current aint to strong!

no idea on 3d backgrounds sorry, i've just got plain black

stones are fine to use but you have to check they dont leach nasties into the water first. i think you have to drop vinegar on them to test, if they fizzle its no good. Again i dont use rocks in my tank so cant really advise

simply adding water from another tank into a new tank is not going to cycle it. Either do a fishless cycle which would take around 4 weeks or transfer some of your mature media from the old tank to kick start it.

in a 4 ft tank you have quite a choice, depends on what kind of fish you want. BN plecs are nice/interesting to watch while easy to care for and easy to breed. German blue rams are also nice to look at. Depends on how big you were wanting things like bala sharks, common plecs and clown loaches are a no no as they will get WAY to big
although clown loachs do grow at an extremely slow rate
 
Thanks for the reply.
I did forget to mention that when putting water in from my other tank I will still be cycling it :) So I will cycle it for 4 weeks.

BN plec is a defo :)

I was starting to say guppies are a dfo. But- I may go with something else. I have always had guppies and I have had fish (on and off, family and own) for nearly 20 years and never had a tropical tank without guppies. Maybe it's time for a change?!
I do love them but I am leaning towards trying something else.

I have a ggod while to pick anyway. I am ordering a metal stand next weekend, and before I can put the tank on it, I am building a cabinet around it (to hide wires etc) with a shelf for external filter and bits and bobs.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top