New Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

drsoda007

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a 35G (124L) tank that contains 3 platies and 1 molly.

One platy (Mini) is absolutely humungous and have a giant yellow belly, she is definitely pregnant.

How do I know how far 'along' she is?

And also for a 'subsitute' tank for while while she is in labour good I put her into a massive, heated, filtered plastic bin/box thingy.

It wouldn't be a long-term home for her, just till the fry are big enough to not be eaten. (I already have over a dozen large molly fry BTW)

Thanks,

Soph :good:

If all you have got is 4 fish in the tank, all i would do is heavily plant one side (extreme side only) and you will find that loads of the fry will easy survive.

One of my 20G tank just lately has loads of fry swimming about with huge lyre swords and platys in what could easily eat them, but the plants are the fry's hiding places and retreat pretty quick to them.

Other then that, you could get a breeding net (they are pretty big) just to put the fry in.

Could you maybe post a pic of the pregnant one?

The breeding setup is very similar to what I use and this has always worked for me - but remove the mother as soon as she has finished giving birth and put her back in the main tank. She will not look after the fry, she will eat them. If you leave her in there until the fry are big enough not to get eaten, you won't have any left.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back