"new Tank"

gowing238

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello

Just wondering wat all you guys thought about this. I gotta tank that has been established for a good 15 years. I have just bought a new one and will be transferring the filter and fish from the old tank straight into the new one. Do you think that this then counts as a new tank or should, because of the already established filter, i be free from ammonia spikes etc.

Only asking because i have 45 tetras and i know generally its not reccomended to put them in newly setup tanks.

I look forward to hearing your opinions! :good:

Hello

Just wondering wat all you guys thought about this. I gotta tank that has been established for a good 15 years. I have just bought a new one and will be transferring the filter and fish from the old tank straight into the new one. Do you think that this then counts as a new tank or should, because of the already established filter, i be free from ammonia spikes etc.

Only asking because i have 45 tetras and i know generally its not reccomended to put them in newly setup tanks.

I look forward to hearing your opinions! :good:

Hi :) i think there's two issues here. first, will your tank still be cycled - assuming the water volume and bioload is the same, then yes, transferring your filter will make your new tank instantly cycled.

the second part of the question whether its an established tank - I'd assume this to mean not just the specific bacteria we want there in terms of ammonia and nitrite, but also the other varieties of bacteria that would be present, in which case your tank probably isn't "established" as such, but that's just my interpretation :)

Im up sizing from 110 litre to 250 litre. Im also gonna run a eheim canister filter, which is gonna have established media in it . So how do you think my tetras, in particular rummynose and neon tetras will fare in the move?

Im up sizing from 110 litre to 250 litre. Im also gonna run a eheim canister filter, which is gonna have established media in it . So how do you think my tetras, in particular rummynose and neon tetras will fare in the move?

from what i gather, neon tetra are more sensitive than people believe them to be! as your going from 110 to 250 that's quite a big jump in volume, but with the same bioload means you'll have lower ppm anyway (actually, with an identical bioload, no matter what the size of the aquarium, the existing filter media will be enough providing you have a powerful enough filter!)

is there any reason your not going to run only the canister filter? as long as its rated high enough to filter the tank on its own, you could put your media from your old filter straight into the canister filter!

Most reactions

Back