New tank smells….fishy….why?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nicoleghibli

Reaction score
My 45 gallon tank that only has 1 convict cichlid and 1 loach has quite a stink. I will say I only set it up about a week and a half ago and added the fish maybe 3 days ago. I have had my 55 gallon for 2 years or so now and I never remember any sort of smells. It’s like when you walk into a fish store type smell. I have a water testing kit and my water is perfect, I’m using a brand new filter & the tank is super clean. I’m at a loss!!! Help, me and my sensitive nose can’t take it hahaha.

Attachments

• B4040731-2A2B-4310-AEBC-137A7A5C0809.jpeg
    B4040731-2A2B-4310-AEBC-137A7A5C0809.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 24
What are you feeding the fish? It may come from that as well...

What are you feeding the fish? It may come from that as well...
Hi!! Thanks for the fast reply. tropical flakes/shrimp pellets/blood worms as directed on the labels so I’m not letting food sink to the bottom & rot or anything. Also that’s the exact food going in my other tank!!

Hi!! Thanks for the fast reply. tropical flakes/shrimp pellets/blood worms as directed on the labels so I’m not letting food sink to the bottom & rot or anything. Also that’s the exact food going in my other tank!!
Do you also feed frozen food at all? That can definitely cause some interesting smells at times 😅
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change per water change?

My 45 gallon tank that only has 1 convict cichlid and 1 loach has quite a stink. I will say I only set it up about a week and a half ago and added the fish maybe 3 days ago. I have had my 55 gallon for 2 years or so now and I never remember any sort of smells. It’s like when you walk into a fish store type smell. I have a water testing kit and my water is perfect, I’m using a brand new filter & the tank is super clean. I’m at a loss!!! Help, me and my sensitive nose can’t take it hahaha.
I only have that problem when my catfish doesn’t eat all the Hikari sinking protein pellets. Stinks up the whole room until I net them out.🥵

Does your new filter create more surface agitation than your old filter? Is it higher powered. High surface agitation can create more water droplets in the room and thus possibly increase any odors from the tank.

Most reactions

Back