new tank plumbing noisy?

pomme

Reaction score
new tank plumbing noisy?

i have just set up my tank, and have just done the first fill and washed it out and it is now set-up with saltwater and live rock, pictures here: www.marinefishuk.co.uk/portal/...m.php?n=529#529, marine fish uk or go to www.marinefish.co.uk and look at albums and look under andrew barnett, and they should be there :)

But have found that the plumbing is very noisy, its basically just from the tank overflows to the sump, the overflows go through the back of the tank, where the plumbing does a 90 degree turn and then down to the sump, does anyone have any ideas of how to make this quieter?

i have heard that if i put holes in the 90 degree bits that come out of the back of the tank the noise should go down as the air can escape, will this work?

thanx,
andrew.

if you get a ball valve and install it in line with the return to the sump and adjust it so that it floods the pipe, then it shouldn't suck air in and make it silent. it loks like you have used marley waste pipe, you may find it hard to find a ball valve to fit this, try lookingb at plumbing stores. you should really have used marine grade ABS pipe work but i know a lot of people who have got away with using marley so it shouldn't be a problem.

oh yeah, I work for the sponsor of marine fish UK, the guy who writes a lot of the articles for that site (andrew caine) is who i work with and I would well advise you read some of the write ups.

good luck.

I found that a lot of my noise seems to come from the protein skimmer. I have it rigged on a timer, so that it turns off during dinner. That makes the aquarium a lot quieter. My plumbing doesn't make that much noise, though -_-

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back