New Tank Ordered!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cs091

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well we did it! :D

Ordered a Rio 180 (180L) to replace the 10gal tank. Current occupants - 5 WCMM, 5 zebra danios, 3 otos and maybe a trumpet snail. Before I realised they could be useful I waged war against them but one seems to have survived! Last additions were the otos about a month ago. All seems well.

Any how the tank should arrive sometime this week, so I was going to spend next weekend setting it up and getting the filter working and the water up to temperature. I've got new sand for substrate and will get some hardy plants when the tank is set up.

The weekend after should see me swapping the current fish and as much of the water as I can manage from the old tank ank put the old filter in to run alongside the new one. I will also put some of the hideous blue and orange and cream gravel in a pair of tights and put it on top of the sand.

One problem is that the gravel has some blue/green algae on it so should I skip this in case I 'infect' the new tank?

I will test the water probably every day foe the first week to keep an eye on things.

The little tank will then becom a quarantine tank for new additions. Gravel out, bin dodgy live plants (one looking ill, one that is green and white leaved plant that I think is not a true aquatic plant- stands up out of water, and a bunch of oxygenators that been half eaten), whole thing scrubbed down. Silk plants and ornamentsdisinfected. Then sand in and silk plants and ornaments in.

As long as main tank settles okay I will leave the old filter in the new tank for about 3 weeks then move it back to the old one, bin the old gravel and buy some more fish. Quarantine them for a couple of weeks and move them into the big tank.

Then things get complicated. Will the ceramic noodle things and the blue sponge out of the little filter be okay just lying on the sand in a less noticable corner of the new tank or should I continue to run the old filter?

The fish I want are :
5 more danios
5 more WCMM
5 Corydoras - probably julii
10 Harlequin Rasbora
5 Coolie Loach
5 Japonica Shrimp
10 Rosy Barb

....and then I think I'll stop for a while! :p

What order should I get them in? And is 2 weeks between each addition okay to let the filter adapt?

Obviously I just want guidelines, I'll keep testing to make sure everything is okay NH4,NO2,NO3 wise.

Wow this has turned into a long post!

I'll be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

Leave the water, all you will be doing is bringing more nitrates tot he new water. Make sure the other tank has the same pH and temperature and the fish will be fine.

If you have some cyano growth on the gravel I would be tempted to leave it. The vast majority of your bacteria colony should be on the filter. If you aren't adding stock, and using the current filter you should have no problems at all.

Most reactions

Back