New Tank Orca Tl-450 - Help Pls

Oh dear!! Am getting worried now, who is living in my tank lol

lol. Its always fun watching new things appear. Had my nano set up for a year and it was only when I moved the contents to a new tank that I found I had a filter feeding crab in there (pretty looking little guy too). You will end up finding yourself spending hours just watching it and looking for new things :)

Not sure if you are allowed to do this on this site but thought I would ask and see - I have a couple of days off at the end of the week and thought I would take advantage of this and order a coral or two over the internet as I will be home to take the delivery, can anybody recommend a good place to order from as there are so many places to order from and I want to make sure I order from a realiable person. Sorry if you are not able to give out names on here but thought it was worth an ask!

My latest additions -

YellowGoby.jpg

He's a bit of a shy guy :) Lovely.

Of course it's allowed to ask this kind of advice Sapphire it's the best thing for our hobby.

Check out this thread (still current) which should give you exactly what you want to know.

Thanks Cage, there are lots there, I will enjoy looking at them all, I'm sure I will find something there!!

Bit worried about my coral - the finger coral pictured earlier, for the last couple of days it had gone all floppy and lying down, doesn't seem happy at all - any ideas, have moved it up the tank today, but it was fine until a couple of days ago, but moving it hasn't made any difference.

Don't worry Saphire, leathers do this from time to time, give him a few days (don't move him again) and he will perk up and look better than ever :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

I think its just sulking (retracted polyps etc) give it a few days. Dont keep moving it around. Send in a pic of how its looking now just to confirm.
Regards
BigC

Dont look to be any dead spots around it, I think its just having a good old sulk, Leathers do this from time to time, it should come back brighter that ever in a few of days to a week, providing all your stats are within bounds.
Regards
BigC

Just make sure you have a good medium flow around it as it may shed mucus (cleaning itself) and the flow will blow this away.
Regards
BigC

Ok thanks, will keep an eye out, hopefully where it is will be ok

Hi, I have just been to the LFS, saw a few nice looking fish but was just wondering if anyone has any experience or knows anything about any of these - Strawberry fish (Pink), Wreck fish & Lyretail Anthias?
Thanks

Common names: Magenta dottyback, Strawberry fish, Strawberry dottyback, Strawberry basslet, Purple dottyback
Scientific name: Pseudochromis porphyreus
Size: 6cm/2.5" or less.
Water parameters: pH 8.3, 24-26�C, 35 ppt salinity.
Aquarium: Like most pseudochromines, this species does well in the reef aquarium. It is a small fish with a rock-associated lifestyle, so you may not see it as often as some other species. It generally mixes well with other fish, providing they are not too aggressive. However, since it is territorial and potentially aggressive towards similar-looking species, it would be best to keep just a single specimen. Don't house it alongside the similar, but more peaceful, P. fridmani... Sometimes the odd fish will become hyperdominant, so this is a species that needs keeping an eye on.
Diet: Initially a little tricky to get feeding, but once acclimated to aquarium life it will accept most foods, including frozen artemia and mysis and dried flakes.
Sexing: Pairs form through protogynous hermaphroditism. Females can undergo sex reversal to become male. If you have a large tank you could try to get a pair by starting off with a couple of fish of unequal size. However, this is an aggressive fish with its own kind, so you must have plenty of space to make this viable.
Breeding: Ball of eggs laid in a small cave or rock crevice are guarded by the male. Fry require a diet of rotifers.
Similar species: This fish is often confused with the Magenta dottyback, Pseudochromis fridmani. P. porphyreus has a plain magenta body and a clear edge to its caudal fin. P. fridmani is more elongate with a darker, pointier tail and a dark mark running from the snout back through the eye. Its scales also have dark markings on them, making it slightly less colourful than porphyreus. Although fridmani tends to be more expensive it is much more peaceful and can even be kept in groups.
Availability: This is quite a common fish in the aquarium trade and most shops should be able to obtain it for you.
Price: Expect to pay around 15-20 pounds on average.

Most reactions

Back