New Swiss Animal Welfare Law

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Liam

Fish Herder
Reaction score
The new law will make it illegal to keep a goldfish on its own, as they are social animals. It will also be required that aquariums are not transparent on all sides and that aquarium fish get a day night cycle. A chemical will have to be got from the vet to make the fish unconscious if it needs to be put down, it doesn’t say how you kill it when its asleep. It will be illegal to flush a live fish or to put live fish in a freezer to kill it. There are lots of other provisions in the law about other animals.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA... really their government must be BORREEEDDD

all well and good but they are going to police this exactly how? And the bit about putting fish down sucks because vets are too expensive. If I lived there I'd just do it anyway - I know how to put a fish down humanely and I can judge when it has to be done.

I agree with Laura, good ideas but how are they going to monitor if people flush fish down the toilet? Or how long their lights are on for? :huh:

Laura - I don't know where in QLD you are, but do you have any local Pet's Paradise stores? I saw dyed black skirt tetras in mine yesterday :( Now that's a law that needs to be made.

Pets Paradise is a disgrace as is Pets To Pamper. They are both selling the tiniest betta containers imaginable, and Pets To Pamper in Cairns sells baby turtles, carapace 2cm. A rescue from Pets Paradise infected my whole tank with a bacterial infection, the fish in question died. Pets To Pamper betta is still so nervous he panicks if I make a sudden movement near his tank. They were all so sick that the woman in there tried to convince me they were healthy by pinching their fins to make them get up off the bottom of their cups.

Dyed fish - that's a new low. The Cairns Pets Paradise has shut down (couldn't be happier) but while it was up I never saw anything like that in there. I did see some pretty shocking things though - a whole tank full of dead and decaying fish and nobody had even bothered to remove the three live ones or even turn off the lights. When I pointed it out they acted like I was being rude.

Don't actually live in Cairns (small country town) my the LFS is REALLY good. I reckon if a dyed fish ever turned up there they would report the supplier to the RSPCA.

That's awesome :) I'm on the Sunshine Coast, and cause of the big population we've got a few good LFS and a few bad ones. One is great for fish - keeps all their male bettas in individual 2 gal filtered, heated tanks and girls in a massive sorority. Luckily it's down the road from me.

Pet's Paradise is at the local shopping centre and is an animal deathtrap. A few years back I pointed out that one of their bettas wasn't looking too good, and that his tank was full of poo. I was told it was 'special sinking food'. Yesterday I asked the price of a tank and was told by the girl 'I don't know.' She gave me a look as though I had interrupted something very important, even though she was just sitting watching the birds. Next time I'm at the plaza I plan on asking them how the dyed tetras get their colour. Bloody idiots.

End rant/hijacking of thread :blush:

Rants do us all good especially where those brainless morons were involved. I was told by Pets to Pamper that bettas lying on the bottom of their (filthy) cups deathly still were perfectly healthy, just resting, 'trust me I've been in the industry six years and I know'. Well I've been keeping fish for 18 months and I already know that those bettas weren't healthy. Anything with finrot and ammonia burns gets me so angry...

[/rant] lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back