New Stock...

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
2,066
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Well, as some of you may know (or may not) I have a 55gallon central/south american cichlid tank at home, aswell as a 75gallon African cichlid tank and a 72gallon central/south american cichlid tank at my dads office. Now as I have the cichlids at my dads office I've decided to get rid of my last remaining cichlids from home (A green terror anda p.polleni) and transfer them to my dads office.

The 55gallon in my basement will be restocked as a community tank, but I need some help on my tanks stock please.
I was thinking of this;

18 Neon Tetras
12 Black neon tetras
12 Zebra Danios
12 White cloud mountain minnows
5 German Rams
8 albino cory catfish
8 green cory catfish
8 peppered cory catfish
and the remaining plecos that I have at home in the tank already which are
1 clown pleco
1 bulldog pleco (am going to buy 2 more)
1 BN pleco
1 Rhino pleco (still small, 4", will be transfered to my dads larger tank that he's buying at chrismas, 120gallons)

So, do you think that should do it? Or should I make all the schools of fish 12 or like somewhere in between at say 15?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advanced.

Ryan
 
I don't have much experience with small community fish, but the list sounds abit overstocked you me, you have 54 schooling fish which seems excessive to me, but I could be wrong.

Also its just my opinion but I think a school of a single type or possibly two looks better than numerous schools of different types of fish if you know what I mean. So instead of having 4 types (neons, black neons, WCMM, zebra danios) have a larger school of a single type or possibly two. But thats just my opinion ofcourse.

That said, I'm no expert on community tanks so hopefully people with more experience of them will chip in.
 
Well, as some of you may know (or may not) I have a 55gallon central/south american cichlid tank at home, aswell as a 75gallon African cichlid tank and a 72gallon central/south american cichlid tank at my dads office. Now as I have the cichlids at my dads office I've decided to get rid of my last remaining cichlids from home (A green terror anda p.polleni) and transfer them to my dads office.

The 55gallon in my basement will be restocked as a community tank, but I need some help on my tanks stock please.
I was thinking of this;

18 Neon Tetras
12 Black neon tetras
12 Zebra Danios
12 White cloud mountain minnows
5 German Rams
8 albino cory catfish
8 green cory catfish
8 peppered cory catfish
and the remaining plecos that I have at home in the tank already which are
1 clown pleco
1 bulldog pleco (am going to buy 2 more)
1 BN pleco
1 Rhino pleco (still small, 4", will be transfered to my dads larger tank that he's buying at chrismas, 120gallons)

So, do you think that should do it? Or should I make all the schools of fish 12 or like somewhere in between at say 15?

Any help would be great. Thanks in advanced.

Ryan


seems a wee bit overstocked, i wud take a way the zebra danios and 8 of the corys
 
You also have to factor in waste though.

Anybody else?
 
You also have to factor in waste though.

Anybody else?


if u wanna factor in waste then u have 4 or more plecs which is a big factor ur also not just a wee bit overstocked with that list but very overstocked u also have a lot of bottom feeders that will all be competing for food :(

sorry but at least half of that list would have 2 be dropped IMO
 
Alright, after your advice (thank you to all. Specially Jen for pointing out what I overlooked :))

So I'm thinking of this now;

12Neon tetras
12 Zebra Danios
8 green corys
8 peppered corys
5 German Rams
12 white clouds and the plecos.

Would that be better???

Also, as requested by Nelly, my P.polleni.

IMG_2235.jpg


IMG_2236.jpg


IMG_2230.jpg
 
Perfect thanks. I hope all goes well with my tank, I'll check back with you guys as soon as I begin to stock the tank :D
 
Thanks much. Too bad you aren't in Canada Nelly. You seemed so interested in the p.polleni, I'd love to sell him too ya ;)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top