New Solana Tank, Centerpiece Fish(Es)?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Noahsfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got in my new 34 solana barebones tank. Was originally planning on making this a reef tank but decided to instead start with a 20 for financial reasons. I may just keep this tank empty and turn it into a reef when I'm ready, if I can't think of any FW fish to stock it with. Anywho I can't seem to find any interesting fish that would thrive in this tank (20x20x20) I have some cardinals and sterbais in the 20 so if I do decide to go the FW route they'll be going in for sure.

So the stocking would have at least the following
X9 Cardinal tetras
X7 sterbai corydoras

I keep the water at around 6.5 ph and temperature 81. Are there any fish that could coexist with the current fish and parameters? For a centerpiece fish I was thinking either a single blue/electric ram or a pair. Problem is I'm not sure how they'd treat the cories in a tank with such a small footprint. I know Angels like taller tanks but I'm worried they'd be agressive towards the cardinals and I don't really care for the more common Angels. Thanks!

I think Rams would only be an issue with the cories if they were mating, so maybe just a single male would be a good idea. You could also look at a single male Apisto species, which I personally prefer to Rams.

Your other option would be a top-level fish, Dwarf Gourami or Honey Gourami, which would also balance things out a bit.

Yes, the fish you already have are lower level species, so finding some upper fish would be good.  With your parameters, hatchetfish would be nice; the Marble (Carnegiella strigata) is a good choice.  Or some of the pencilfish species?  Nannostomas eques swims at an oblique angle, and remains in the top half of the aquarium, among floating plants.  And floating plants will benefit the other fish too by shading the light.

I would personally lower the temperature a bit; while both cardinals and Corydoras sterbai are fine in warmer water (above 80F), they will be OK in the high 70's, and this will give you more options for other species too.  The higher the temperature, the harder the fish has to work.

As for the rams, the Bolivian Ram does very well as a solitary ram in community tanks.  Not quite as colourful perhaps, depending upon one's point of view, but a bit hardier.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back