New Sev

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,

spotted this little Sev taking a bit of a beating from it's tankmates, went back a little later & it got the sympathy vote :rolleyes:

It was labelled 'Red Headed Severum' what do you guys think? he/she is only about an inch & a bit long, has a few battle scars, but nothing too bad.

cheers

109fcfd1.jpg

b701df23.jpg

Very lovely. Rotkeil severums are beautiful when they get older

Thanks balajake.
I know there's been a lot of chat on the difference between Red Head/ Red Shoulder / Rotkiel, and if indeed there is a difference. Pretty confusing to be honest. But it's a lovely fish. Any idea when I'll be able to tell the gender?
Thanks.

I hope you don't like your valli's, because your severum will love them, so much, that you'll have none left eventually.

Cracking fish you have there. They grow quote quickly so once its a bit bigger it'll be easier to tell the sex of it :good:

Thanks balajake.
I know there's been a lot of chat on the difference between Red Head/ Red Shoulder / Rotkiel, and if indeed there is a difference. Pretty confusing to be honest. But it's a lovely fish. Any idea when I'll be able to tell the gender?
Thanks.

I

It usually describes the rotkiel in one. However, my Belem severums were tagged up as red necked severums and they aren't that at all. They look nothing like your Severum anyway. My rotkeils are exactly the same as yours. As for sexing it you will be able to when it's older. I don't have a clue what mine are yet although I suspect I have 2 pairs due to size difference

I hope you don't like your valli's, because your severum will love them, so much, that you'll have none left eventually.

Ha, the fish is welcome to them if they like them so much. I've got a fair bit of Java Fern in there too, perhaps that will be ok?

Cracking fish you have there. They grow quote quickly so once its a bit bigger it'll be easier to tell the sex of it :good:

Thanks :) like I mentioned, it has a few nicks, nothing too serious, I'm looking forward to seeing the development of the fish. Although my Son is getting annoyed with me that I don't know the sex of it (he likes to name them)
I've read that the bands start to fade at about 4 inches? so I reckon I've got a bit of time yet.
Cheers.

looks like you've got some cracking cichlids in there......any chance of a full tank picture?

looks like you've got some cracking cichlids in there......any chance of a full tank picture?

Sure, although I've transferred some of the wood & rocks to my new (cycling) upgrade, so although not totally bare, it's not what it was.
I'll try & post some pics when I'm home later, I'll have a look in a sec to see if I've got any on my phone.
Cheers.

2957d1c7.jpg

Note this Metae only has one pelvic fin. There's not even a blemish to show if it ever Had one.

08937092.jpg

70e3e65f.jpg

Apart from the small Sev, those are all I've got on my phone. I do have 2 Keyholes too, one of which (not pictured) is, believe it or not, the feistiest in the tank.
Cheers.

Deffo a rotkeil, they tend not to show any red till about 4" but one of my 1"ers has a hint of red already :)

Most reactions

trending

Back