New Saltwater Aquarium - Advice Needed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Never heard of the 14 series. what are its flowrate/pressure characteristics?
sorry getting mixed up its actually a
eheim1048_curve.jpg

I should be able to get my hands on one of these too
eheim1250_curve.jpg

The two Standpipe's are 32mm or 1 and 1/4inches diameter BTW
Also how many power heads would you reccommend

Thanks

Ah yes, the venerable eheim models. The 1048 is WAY underpowered for a sump for a display tank as large as a 4x2x2. Even the 1250 is pretty underperforming for a tank that large, but if you want to suppliment the tank's internal flowrate with powerheads then you'd be OK. Remember you're going to be dealing with 5-6 feet of head pressure MINIMUM, and the 1048 shuts off in that range. The 1250 CAN do it, but its not going to be efficient doing so. An eheim 1260 or a Mag 9.5 would probably be better choices if you want a submersible sump pump.

Remember you'll still need to suppliment the tank's internal flowrate with powerheads. Seio and Tunze are the way to go with bigger tanks :good:

Ah yes, the venerable eheim models. The 1048 is WAY underpowered for a sump for a display tank as large as a 4x2x2. Even the 1250 is pretty underperforming for a tank that large, but if you want to suppliment the tank's internal flowrate with powerheads then you'd be OK. Remember you're going to be dealing with 5-6 feet of head pressure MINIMUM, and the 1048 shuts off in that range. The 1250 CAN do it, but its not going to be efficient doing so. An eheim 1260 or a Mag 9.5 would probably be better choices if you want a submersible sump pump.

Remember you'll still need to suppliment the tank's internal flowrate with powerheads. Seio and Tunze are the way to go with bigger tanks :good:

Thanks for all the advice
Ive 2 Tunze stream pump 6080 on order from usa due to arrive to me any day now

BTW - had a look at your diary setting up your tank
Looks excellent

Thanks, appreciate the compliment, and glad I could help 8)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why are you ordering electrical equipment from the usa? there equipment runs on a 110 volts.
The Tunze pumps are better than the Seios but are more expensive. For your return i would use a Ehiem 1262. Try looking on www.coralculture.co.uk for the pumps (they are under wavemakers) also look at www.ro-man.com

John

Seio's are great pumps if Tunze are not available to you :good:

Why are you ordering electrical equipment from the usa? there equipment runs on a 110 volts.
The Tunze pumps are better than the Seios but are more expensive. For your return i would use a Ehiem 1262. Try looking on www.coralculture.co.uk for the pumps (they are under wavemakers) also look at www.ro-man.com

John

I'm not buying through the states anymore, voltage not really a problem anyway
I'll check thouse 2 sites out

Right
I've ditched the prism protein skimmer and have a nice big berlin one for now until funds allow a deltec

I'm currently building something like this around the overflow pipes in each corner to prevent noise
standpipe.jpg

Has anyone any suggestions on how I should/can return the water, Spraybar etc?

Right I've now built 2 of these, one in each back corner of the tank and I'm quite happy with them, there nice and quiet.
What I'm looking to know now is when the water returns from my eheim pump should I send it back up with 25mm hard piping and make a spraybar at the end or just heat and slightly close off the end of the pipe or what
Any suggestions please?
Also pictures of other peoples returns would be excellent

Thanks
Cathal

Just thinking, Is 2 overflow durso's really nessessary or should I turn one of them into a return?

What size pump?

What is the difference in water level from the top of your sump to the top of your display?

What size are the pipes on the dursos?

What size pump?

What is the difference in water level from the top of your sump to the top of your display?

What size are the pipes on the dursos?
The pipes on the Dursos are 32mm
The sump tank is 18inches high and the display tank is 24inches high
the gap between the two is 8inches

!......................!
!......................! <--Display tank 24inches high
!___________!
========== <--Gap between 2 tanks is 8inches
!.................!
! ________! <--Sump Tank 18inches High

You're overflow is adequately sized at over 1" diameter which is good. You're only pushing up a little over 3 feet of head which is also good. The real question, what model eheim pump do you have? Are we talking a 1250 or a 1260 series?

You're overflow is adequately sized at over 1" diameter which is good. You're only pushing up a little over 3 feet of head which is also good. The real question, what model eheim pump do you have? Are we talking a 1250 or a 1260 series?

Its a New Eheim 1262: 3,400lph, max head 3.6m, 80 watts

Thanks
Cathal

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back