The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cynos

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
PLEASE SEE MOST RECENT POSTS

Hi folks
Only new here, currently have a 120l freshwater setup and a small 90l saltwater aquarium
so I'm new to the marine keeping and have very limited knowledge
I'm moving to a new apartment during the summer and purchased a new tank to keep marine fish and maybe a bit of coral in too
Its 4footX2footx2foot
and plumbed for a sump tank<which wasnt included>
So I'm planing on building the sump tank myself and am looking to know if I can salvage any of what I have at the moment as funds will be tight
I've a
redsea prism skimmer hangon or in sump <up to 400l me thinks>
17483.jpg

Heres a pic of my new tank, its got two overflow pvc pipes coming up at each corner with a guard at the top of each
x42mms.jpg

Can anyone suggest a sump setup to suit and a quiet return pump to and the skimmer is noisy enough.

Anyhelp opinions much appriated
Thanks

Hi,
I would sell the prism skimmer and the fluval and get a decent skimmer (Deltec APF600) For the sump use a standard tank and add some baffles. For the return pump i would use a Ehiem 1262.

John

The Skimmer IMO isnt worth the box it came in & the external you could use to house Antiphos etc.

:good:

I would look at either Aquamedic or Deltec Skimmers

You cant go wrong with them IME

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Skimmer IMO isnt worth the box it came in & the external you could use to house Antiphos etc.

I would look at either Aquamedic or Deltec Skimmers

You cant go wrong with them IME

something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.ie/TURBOFLOTOR-1000-PROTEI...1QQcmdZViewItem

The 1000 is a great skimmer but for a 120l you would defo get a way with a AQUA MEDIC BIOSTAR FLOTOR HANG ON FILTER

hmm says on all the sites it'll do up to 500l

what about berlin ones?
any use?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BERLIN-PROTEIN-%20SK...1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi,
I have never heard anything good about Berlin skimmers. If it was my tank i would use a Deltec first if not then a Aquamedic 1000 or preferably a larger model.

john.

Right folks, I ended up buying a berlin skimmer as I couldnt get a deltec or aquamedic in ireland
the prism skimmer will stay on the 20gal nano for now

Just before I start to build the sump is there a minimum size it should be in litres/gallons?

As big as you can conveniently fit :). Gotta be some room for servicing, but you'll want a large volume too :D

Right
I've ditched the prism protein skimmer and have a nice big berlin one for now until funds allow a deltec

I'm currently building something like this around the overflow pipes in each corner to prevent noise
standpipe.jpg

I've someone looking into building me a sump at the moment so hopefully I'll be ready to get filling in about 2weeks

Has anyone any suggestions on how I should/can return the water, Spraybar etc?

I'd use dual or quad return lines depending on your flow through the sump :)

I'd use dual or quad return lines depending on your flow through the sump :)

Any pictures of different setups
I'll do a search of the forums
I'm using a eheim return pump think its a 14something

Never heard of the 14 series. what are its flowrate/pressure characteristics?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back