New Rescue might turn into a hospice situation - Din Djaren the Galaxy Koi

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

hazyvonne

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
If you've been following the story of my last rescue Albus, you now know that I invested in a new rescue tank. So now that I have space again, I went to see my favorite manager at my local big box store. As soon as he saw me, he said "I have something for you!". He showed me two boys - one tiny red one with fin rot so bad he barely had a fin and a galaxy koi boy laying on the bottom of the cup with what clearly looked like swim bladder disease and who was very lethargic. We both decided the galaxy boy looked even worse so that's who I took home (yes, for free again).

Galaxy reminds me of StarWars and bettas being fighters reminds me of Mandalorians so it was decided that this little guy's name shall be Din Djaren. Geeks gonna geek 🤷‍♀️ 😁

He's not in good shape at all. He's been with me for only two days so far and he's spending all his time lying on the tank floor. Every once in a while he moves to a different spot but he doesn't seem to have the energy to do anything else. What's worrying me the most is that he is also not interested in food at all. I hatched him some fresh baby brine shrimp but even those can't entice him so far.

That "S" shape that I learned with Albus is a sign of swim bladder disease
Din4.jpg

It's almost like he can't move his butt. It mostly kinda hangs off to the side. I don't know if that is also a swim bladder thing or something else
Din1.jpg
Din2.jpg

Even when he tries to swim straight it kinda hangs off to the side
Din5.jpg

So for now, I'm just letting him chill. I'm not even bothering with any kind of treatment yet. He's in clean, cycled, 81-degree water. The lights are off. I do a little water change every day. Twice a day I see if I can get him to try some baby brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, krill, or daphnia. I hope that he is strong enough that some rest will get him to a point where he eats again. But he is so lethargic I really don't know whether he is going to make it. If you can spare it, please send some love, positive vibes, good juju etc to my boy Djarin! 😊

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back