New Pressurised Co2 In Small Tank

snapefish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just set up a new d-d presurised co2 system in a 30l aqua-one 320 tank. At the moment I am using just what came in the box although I have got a new diffuser coming as the kit one is a bit large for such a small tank.

I've set up the in-kit diffuser directly underneath my internal filter. The bubbles rise a short way then get sucked into the filter, through the media and then get blown down into the tank via a spray bar pointed down and towards the back wall of the tank (its a betta tank so am trying to minimise currents).

I've set it to run approx 4 bubbles/min at the moment and have set up a timer for the solenoid valve and a seperate one for the lights. Co2 comes on at 7:30 in the morning, lights on half an hour later - co2 off at 9:30, tank lights off at 10.

Tank setup is currently tetra-complete substrate with small pea gravel on top (2cm of each). The filter is rated 400l/h which I know is a bit extreme for a 30l tank but I want to have a small group of pygmy cory and a couple of large amano shrimp as well as a betta and the current it produces with the spray bar isn't too bad. (I hope). Plants so far are twisted vallis, a mossball and some of my java fern cuttings that are just starting to take hold of the bogwood I've tied them to - as soon as I can find some I want to add dwarf hairgrass, riccia and something that takes my fancy for midground. As well as the 11w supplied light I've also added a 18w t5 compact giving 29w total. I plan on just using seachem flourish at the moment.

I would stress that I have just set this up, the tank looks pretty awful at the moment as the vallis I got my hands on wasn't brilliant but is showing decent new growth even without the co2. Some hair algae growing on I've just noticed.

I am going to take a ph reading just after the lights go out and again tomorrow morning.

Is there anything else you would recommend I do, is the bubble count OK etc etc. This is the first time I've tried going anywhere near hi-tech and its worrying me a little bit!

Cheers

Mark

I would up the bubble rate quite a bit, easily around 1 bubble every 4 or 5 seconds. Do you know how to test for CO2? Aim for a CO2 level of 30ppm.

Sam

Most reactions

Back