New platy hiding and resting on bottom of tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishy Mishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought 2 new platies yesterday (both female) 1 is doing fine but the other is now hiding in the corner of the tank at the bottom and is not interested in food - what shall i do?

She also has done a very long and stringy poo

Came out of her hiding place and is moving about slowly and pooing alot - could it be a case of overeating?

Back hiding again but not on the bottom, about mid way ??? Nitrite measuring a bit high so will keep an eye on it and do the necessary

Fishy Mishy said:
I bought 2 new platies yesterday (both female) 1 is doing fine but the other is now hiding in the corner of the tank at the bottom and is not interested in food - what shall i do?

She also has done a very long and stringy poo

Came out of her hiding place and is moving about slowly and pooing alot - could it be a case of overeating?

Back hiding again but not on the bottom, about mid way ??? Nitrite measuring a bit high so will keep an eye on it and do the necessary
[snapback]871160[/snapback]​
have done another water change (2nd today) as nitrite was at 2.0. Came out for a while after water change and seemed to perk up a bit but gone back to hide again in the corner although mid way again. I wont feed for a day and keep watching but am really worried that there is something else i could be doing that I am not aware of - any advice gratefully received!

Keep doing water changes to get those nitrites down to 0. She's no doubt feeling stressed being in a new home and with a nitrite level that high your lucky she's still hanging in there. The stringy poo could be an indication of parasites but I'd worry about getting the nitrites down before anything else.

Polardbear said:
Keep doing water changes to get those nitrites down to 0. She's no doubt feeling stressed being in a new home and with a nitrite level that high your lucky she's still hanging in there. The stringy poo could be an indication of parasites but I'd worry about getting the nitrites down before anything else.
[snapback]871672[/snapback]​
I will, do you think it is better to do a 10% change twice a day or 20% once a day? It is a new tank set up so I guess this should be expected. She ate a little bit this morning but has gone back behind the pipe again, the other platie now seems to be joining her!!!!!!!!! they are not on the bottom though. Outwardly they look a picture of health but obviously their behaviour is not. Could they be pregnant? When other fish come near they do try and nudge them away as if defending their territory.

Most reactions

trending

Back