New Platies - About To Drop? - Given Birth To 25 Fry!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Aww they are so cute! Congrats that's a lot of fry!

Adorable! Lots of gold and metallic-greens there (if the black ones are black all over as in the pic).

Also, tomorrow dad and I will be working on project: Fry nursery.

A plastic box with lots of tiny holes that will be long and will hang on one wall of the main tank. Should give the fry lots of swimming space.

Adorable! Lots of gold and metallic-greens there (if the black ones are black all over as in the pic).

Also, tomorrow dad and I will be working on project: Fry nursery.

A plastic box with lots of tiny holes that will be long and will hang on one wall of the main tank. Should give the fry lots of swimming space.

Awwh that's great! I'm sure they will love it :D I am setting up my 27 litre, AGAIN for the fry tomorrow! My other platy Is due soon aswell... :S

Aww they are so cute! Congrats that's a lot of fry!

Thank you :p

my fry is a month old and looks like your just born ones... hmmm

Oh... :crazy: What are you keeping the fry in and how many are there?

Love em':D

Well, can't make it too wide though, so they'll have to settle for a 20 cm long or so with 10 cm wide and 15 height until they're big enough not to fit in Tzuppy's mouth. Although he could have just shoved my swordtail male into his mouth by now, yet he doesn't care about him. He does sniff my female swordie though.

The box will have mostly black walls, but front will be transparent so that I can watch the fry better. The albino will be easier to spot that way too. I'm trying hard to see him in the tub atm.

Well, can't make it too wide though, so they'll have to settle for a 20 cm long or so with 10 cm wide and 15 height until they're big enough not to fit in Tzuppy's mouth. Although he could have just shoved my swordtail male into his mouth by now, yet he doesn't care about him. He does sniff my female swordie though.

The box will have mostly black walls, but front will be transparent so that I can watch the fry better. The albino will be easier to spot that way too. I'm trying hard to see him in the tub atm.

Got some good news and some bad news...

Bad news = My other pregnant platy gave birth whilst I was in town today, so the majority of them got eaten :sad:

Good news = I managed to find 5 fry in the tank and put them with my other fry, :D so got about 30 fry now :S

Got some good news and some bad news...

Bad news = My other pregnant platy gave birth whilst I was in town today, so the majority of them got eaten :sad:

Good news = I managed to find 5 fry in the tank and put them with my other fry, :D so got about 30 fry now :S

Gratz X)

Same with me, good news and bad news.

The bad news - Mom didn't let me make that box I wanted because she doesn't want me welding plastics with dad's soldering tool (forgot the name of that thing, ledcon is what we call it)

The good news is - dad promptly bought a fry net so I put my 4 fry in there. But now their mother keeps pecking the net and is checking for a way in. And there is a way in, if she ever thinks of jumping and then sliding into the box. I just hope she isn't as smart as I think she is...

Do you have a lid on your tank?

I don't know if you are talking to me or FishBlast? So I will just say that I do have a lid on my tank, I took it off to take an overhead view of the fry.

I don't know if you are talking to me or FishBlast? So I will just say that I do have a lid on my tank, I took it off to take an overhead view of the fry.
I think Neptune meant me, because I mentioned the possibility of my female swordie jumping in the net.

I have a lid that's higher than water level, because my catfish often wants to take a gulp of air at the surface so, he needs like 2 cm of space there. And the net somehow doesn't reach the lid level, if I put it higher, there would be too little water for the fry due to the 2 cm dry gap.

I think Neptune meant me, because I mentioned the possibility of my female swordie jumping in the net.

I have a lid that's higher than water level, because my catfish often wants to take a gulp of air at the surface so, he needs like 2 cm of space there. And the net somehow doesn't reach the lid level, if I put it higher, there would be too little water for the fry due to the 2 cm dry gap.

Okay, sorry :)

my fry is a month old and looks like your just born ones... hmmm

Oh... :crazy: What are you keeping the fry in and how many are there?

just the one and he's in a breeding net. now i look at the pics he's actually very different, i just didnt look properly.

none of my fish have thought of jumping into the net, after a month of it being there. those nets are pretty tough, one of my fish is always eating at it but it is still intact!!!!

none of my fish have thought of jumping into the net, after a month of it being there. those nets are pretty tough, one of my fish is always eating at it but it is still intact!!!!
Bee's always staring at the top, as if pondering something. Then she swims under the net and looks at it from there. When fry go near, she nips at them or spits water through the net lol.

It's odd how my catfish isn't even interested in the net now, yesterday he was scared of it and sitting still.

The fry were so tiny at birth, that they could pass on as guppy fry. Now they actually look like swordtail fry after a few days.

Most reactions

Back