New Platies - About To Drop? - Given Birth To 25 Fry!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So today I got 4 more Zebra Danios (I already have 2) and 2 pregnant platies. One of them seems to be squared off aswell as very fat. I have taken some pictures and I want your opinions, do you think she is close to dropping?

ALSO: Apologies for the amount of poop in these pics, they were acclimatizing in the bags when these pics were taken, there must have been a poop explosion or something on the way home from the LFS! :sick:

Thanks guys!

091.jpg

095-1.jpg

099.jpg

105.jpg

082-1.jpg

I think the one in the first pic is close to dropping, maybe in the next few days as you can see her birthing tube.
The other one has a while to go

:crazy: the amount of poop in the last picture

I know, that's what I thought! They were floating in the bag with 4 zebra danios when this pic was taken, I think on the way home there must have been a poop explosion or something! :sick: Any Ideas on the pregnant platy?

I agree completely with Cazgar, the first one will drop in a by short time period at the most of around 2-3 days as the little white dot near her anal fin indicates that the birthing tube is opened. While the other doesn't look nesicarelly close the the other. Adding a fair amount of floating live or fake plant will greatly benefit the survival rate of the juvenile platy.

Good luck with raising, and caring for the fry! You will have a very well Experince doing so.

In case you havnt had Experince with platy fry, here are a few pictures of one of my fry

408b200c.jpg

3816ecc5.jpg

In case you havnt had Experince with platy fry, here are a few pictures of one of my fry

I have lots of experience raising fry, I'm just not too good at guessing when they are ready to give birth :/

UPDATE PICS: I trapped her because her birthing "area" looks quite open, and she looks like a big cube :blink: And please don't tell me how bad breeding traps are, how they cause stress, death, aborting the fry, etc, because I have never had any problems with it and I can't leave her in the main tank because I have Zebra Danios, the fry don't stand a chance with them :grr:

005-3.jpg

001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-2.jpg

:good: I used a breeder net with my platy because I didn't have a separate tank then and the other platies were chasing her so bad. She did fine, I just made sure to let her out as soon as she was done. Maybe it's all about your individual platy, and whether you put them in there too soon.

Okay, thanks :)

Anyone else know if she's almost ready? Still no fry :no:

AAH! SHE'S HAVING THEM RIGHT NOW! :hyper:

Good luck, hope everything goes well & you have lots of little fish

She has successfully pushed out one fey, but has had a tiny orange tail sticking out of her for about 10 minutes, should I be worried? It seems like she can't push it out :crazy:

Never mind, he's out now :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back