New Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Malawi MaD

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've recently acquired a small 60L aquarium that i want to plant and do a small biotope so to speak. Im starting small to get the basics but i need some help on a few things. What is the best CO2/ferts to use, what substrate is best to use and how do you go about setting up a co2 kit? Do the flora based substrates need to be changed regularly etc.. Any help and guide to products would be great, thankyou.

okay nice cant w8 to see pics of this tank :)

Co2 you can find all the information regarding an FE system here  i would highly recommend that

and it also give you useful tips on other stuff :)

with fert's you will need Macro, and micro ferts with a Co2 tank, are you going with high, medium or low light?

but with ferts i would recommend EI, it is very cheap far cheaper than liquid ferts bought at a store, for example £100 worth of liquid ferts would last me around 6 months, same £100 of dry salts for EI would last me around 2 to 3 years i think i worked it out as maybe even longer as you can see worth while :) a link to a good site for EI is here, dose all the calculating for you even tells you how much to put in and also gives you links to buy the stuff from, do a little more googling and you may find them cheaper elsewhere :)
here is that site

substrate it is up to you, i like the sand style substrate so in my tank at the moment i have substrate that needs to be capped with sand, but for my future tanks i may go with something else who knows :) flora base is very good, not sure how often you need to replace it, but my under sand substrate is around 1year old and is still going strong probably could replace it every year or 2 years depends on your budget i guess but someone i'm sure will correct me who knows more :)

need more help or questions let me know i will be happy to help :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back