New Oscar Laying At Bottom Of Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jnms

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently added an oscar into my tank. He is about 2 inches long at the moment.

He seems to spend a lot of his time laying on the bottom of the tank, or in a corner behind bogwood. Then every so often he swims around the tank for a while before going back to his corner.

He is eating and looks to be healthy. So, is this normal behaviour for an oscar, or is something up?

I wouldn't say this is "normal" behaviour, normally Oscars are rather inquisitive little beasts.
If it's his first few days, he might still be settling in, adjusting to the water params.

See how you go, if it doesn't improve within a week or so, you might have a problem.

That's a shame then. He has been doing this nearly all day today. He has only been in the tank around 24hrs though, so maybe he needs a bit more time.

That's a shame then. He has been doing this nearly all day today. He has only been in the tank around 24hrs though, so maybe he needs a bit more time.

Oh well if it's his first day, then no worries, he's probably a bit stressed from the move and needs a good night sleep :)

Ah well that is something then. Will let you know how it goes with him.

No, that's definitely not normal. I bought my first oscar on sunday, at about an inch big. As soon as I put him into tank he was swimming about exploring and he ate straight away. He's a greedy devil and always at the front of the tank begging for food.
So, in my limited experience I wouldn't say it was normal behaviour, but then at the same time not necessarily something to worry about as all fish are different. He could be stressed from the move or could be adjusting to a different type of water in your tank or any tank mates you may have.

As long as he's eating I think you can relax - an O not eating would be definitely a cause for concern. Good luck with him, they are great fish!

Looks like he was just sulking, he is happily swimming around today.

Assuming the tank is fully cycled, ie, no ammonia or nitrIte present, then its normal behaviour for some Oscars to sulk when first put into a new tank, or even when you have moved stuff around in the tank. They usually get over it quick enough.

If the tank isnt fully cycled, then obviously its a water quality problem.

Oscars often sulk at change.

What size tank?

And water stats though please.

When i bought my Oscar he also sat at the bottem of the tank and tried to hide for a long period of time. About a month actually. He also was greyish colord due to the stress of the move and being afaid of me. He will eventually warm up to the tank and will be very excited when he sees you for feeding time. Just give it time.

Mine still turns gray when he is sulking hes an adult tiger oscar. Mine still sats on the bottom some times but this is common. Most of the time though he swimming around slowly. :lol:

haha :) My oscar doesn't really "sulk" anymore. Even when i clean the tank he swims about and even rubs up against my hand while im vacuming the rocks :lol:

haha :) My oscar doesn't really "sulk" anymore. Even when i clean the tank he swims about and even rubs up against my hand while im vacuming the rocks :lol:
Lucky you last night mine decided he was going to bite me. I have a 150 gallon and have to stand on a ladder to clean it. I just shifted my sand up so it was a little cloudy plus I wasn't paying attention. I was putting the rocks back in and he came up and bit my hand. It didn't hurt just scared the heck out of me. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back