New Nano Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

looking great now :)

Having a straight photoperiod is better for plants. But because you are using DIY CO2, then having the siesta will help to build up the CO2 levels to a suitable level again because of the unpredictable fluctuations/ CO2 production.

Day 38!

The tank is full of green dust algae! HC is growing! HG is growing! Everything is growing!

Waiting till the HC fully carpets over then gonna do a overall maintenance and clean all equipment up. Then a trial at photoshooting!

The HC looks excellent! Im struggling with HC in my new 4ft, what's your secret ;)

I would remove the siesta and go 8hrs straight. 10hrs is probably a bit to much.

Sam

Hi Sam long time no see!

Haha stop teasing mate there's no way you're struggling with HC! I just did everything you and Aaron told me to do. :) I think the main thing was dosing lots of P and N which seemed to make the HC take off, but at the expense of green dust algae. If there's any secret it'll be in this journal. I'm glad I did this journal as I can look back at all my steps and see what was done to the tank. It also helps me remember when I did WCs and dosing (I sometimes don't come home for a week straight).

Well might really go back to a straight photoperiod when the tank gets to where I want it. Don't want to change something yet that might rock the boat... if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing? Especially since things seem to be working really well now.

Question: Once I get to the final scape result, can I remove one light (reducing it to 11W) and dose excel instead of injecting co2 to keep the tank in suspended equilibrium ie. less rapid growth. Or would this equate to a death sentence for the plants?

Day 39!

Just some pics. Moved the snails back into the tank. Would move the oto back soon.

DSC00996.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

Why is this green dust algae brown?
DSC01003.jpg

Thanks for dropping by!

Day 41!

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

Need comments on finetuning this scape now. Anyone? I'm thinking too much same toned green colour...

the brown algae is diatoms (common for the first few months), GDA usually follows it too but i am more than certain it will go.

i dont think they would survive with the one light, but maybe you could run a midday burts.

run 1 light for a few hours, then the second light for a few hours (halfway though photoperiod), then have just the one light on again for the remainder of the photoperiod.

HI aaron! Sigh I thought I could use the other light for another project hahha.. oh well!

Diatoms? Looks like the otos need to go back in now! :D

Been a while since I upated this journal. Can't even remember what day it is now... must have been 2 months plus.

This is the result so far. :)

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01059.jpg

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

Thanks guys for all the help. Especially to aaronnorth and sam. :) Couldn't have done it without you guys

One thing I learnt from this. Its better to just let the tank just grow by itself. Much like a child. You can't watch their every move. Just make sure you give them what they need to grow and they will do the rest for you.

Any updates on this?

Hi!

Sorry haven't got around to updating the thread for a while now. Been busy with work, or should I say busy trying to keep my work. The credit crunch in Asia is pretty bad.

Anyways, the tank is fully overgrown and the HC is going mad. I will be rescaping next month when I move to my new place so I'll update you guys soon.

:)

Most reactions

Back