FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gazzaeng

Reaction score
Hi just like to say a quick hello. I'm relatively new to all this I have 240 l tropical tank had it for about 5 months now! I'm sure I will need lots of help along the way! This is my tank hope u you all like or any comments welcome. image.jpg

:hi: to the forum, Gazzaeng; good to have you on board :)

Your tank looks nice; maybe some taller plants? I prefer to have a backing on my tanks; I think it makes the fish feel more secure and show better colour, but it's a personal thing :)

Thank you good to be here! The wood to the left has several large stones behind it tried to recreate holes and hiding places there is also several tall reed plants but they haven't grown yet got a bit carried away when I was cutting them! Iol I also want to create a wall of plants along the Back and I have just installed a co2 system so all plants are still young!
I was told that a backing to the tank can confuse them is that true?? And again thank you for the comments!

I've never heard that about backings!

Most of our aquarium fish (although not all) hug the banks in the wild, where they're safer from predators than they would be out in the open river or stream (or lake). I find a lot of fish are more nervous without a backing on the tank, but I see you've got mostly livebearers and gouramis, and they're more confident, open water fish, although the gouramis would like some floating plants :)

:hi: to the forum.
I agree with fluttermoth about the backing, maybe your thinking of the ones that are like paterned and have plants and fish on them? They could confuse the fish I suppose but I think they would soon figure it out. Most people just use plain backgrounds anyway.

Thank you for the advice I might try a backing if that's the case! And defiantly some floating plants been looking at them for a while! I Done the normal newbie mistake brought a tank and filled it of what I thought looked good and as many fish as I can get in there! Learning from my mistakes now and really want to get it right with the fish and aquascapping!

Hi there, lovely tank.
What's the stocking in there?
I would definitely get a backing though :) .

I have
5x tetra neon
2x dwarf gouramis
4x harlequins
3x gold danios
3x zebra danio
1x rainbow shark
8x cherry shrimp
2x panda cory
3x guppies
3x rummy nose tetra
2x penguin tetra
2x tiger pleco

It's a random assortment of fish they all seem to live well with each other. Is there anything I should be aware of with these fish. I originally started with a smaller tank and the local pet store said they would all be fine when I started doin some research I found I had overstocked so I have got this tank now hopefully not overstocked now! And I have found a good proper fish shop and they have helped me a lot !

A lot of them are schooling fish and need bigger schools. I'm not sure about the overstocking so I'll leave that up to someone else.
The fish that need to be in bigger schools are:
Neon tetra: 6+
Dwarf Gourami: Although not schooling fish, if one is female and one male then you should try to get a another female, if they are both male then there may be some fighting but they also might be fine.
Harlequins: 6+
Gold Danio's: 6+ (I think?)
Zebra Danio's: Happier in subtropical temperatures but can be in tropical. Need 6+
Rainbow Shark: From brief research, they often become aggressive as they get older and might get to around 15 cm so just watch it and have a backup plan if it does get aggressive.
Cherry Shrimp: Fine
Panda Cory's: Need at least 4 but 6+ is better.
Guppies: Fine as long as they are all the same sex, otherwise you will end up with lots more.
Rummy Nose: 6+
Penguin: 6+
Tiger Pleco: Not sure on them sorry.

If I've made a mistake then feel free to correct me. :)

Thanks for the info as I said I was guided by a general pet store so they didn't tell me anything about schooling or much at all so all advice is welcome! I really would like to get the the numbers up so I can I have groups of 6+ just don't want to overstock it ! I'm keeping a close eye on my levels and so far they have all been good I have an api test kit. (I've been told they are good). I don't want to get in the situation I buy extra fish and my levels go bad then i am struggling to get them right as I'm still learning what they all mean!

The picture is of one end of my tank I have tried to give them hiding spots and there is a gap under the wood where it stay dark for fish to hide and tall growing plants is that ok or do they need more! Sorry to keep asking

Hiding space

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 75
Lots of people get misguided information from their LFS so don't worry, your not the only one.
The hiding space looks good, try to provide as many as you can while still giving them lots of swimming space, this is often done better with plants and wood.

Is the test kit liquid? Many people recommend API so it's a trusted brand.

So long as there is no ammonia and/or nitrite showing then your fine. The first step would be to get rid of the fish that you either don't want or are unsuitable for your tank. i.e. the rainbow shark.

Yes it's a liquid test. So far so good on ammonia and nitrate, I think I will get rid of the fish of the smaller groups if I can find a good home for them so I can have bigger schools for the other fish. I have a lot of low planting so I might introduce some bigger plants to create more hiding spaces there is plenty of room for it and to leave lots of open space! Thank you again for the help!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back