New Member Here!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Creature

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Corey. I've been researching fish for awhile now (almost a year of getting on and reading every day >.<) but I've never had a tank till about 2 months ago. I guess you could call me a knowledgeable newbie. 

Right now I have a tank of guppies and rosy red feeder minnows (my mom wanted me to save the bait from my last ice fishing trip).

I have a 29 gallon tank of mostly algae eaters, plecos and gold algae eaters. I have a few more rosy reds in there too... there were a lot of them. (about 100, I thought I'd use more than 300 bait fish)

My female guppy named Honeydew dropped her first batch of fry a couple weeks ago and all 36 have survived. I don't know what the father of the babies looks like so its even more exciting!

My male guppies are:
Moscow half black- Midnight/Nightmare (I like Midnight, but Nightmare sounds cooler. You guys can help me decide.)
Tequila Sunrise Fancy Tail- Venom (He has the tiger endler body, green zig-zags going through him.)
White Tequila Sunrise round-tail- Creature (my favorite, hence my screen name)
Red Gold Tux- Blaze

That's basically all about my little critters and me. Now I'd love to hear about all of you! I'd also love to see some pictures of your critters including their names! Thanks all! - Corey

Hi Corey,
On this forum we like to promote well stocked tanks. This means not too many fish and not fish that grow too large. I fear that you have too many fish in your 29 gallon. What's the total stocking?
Now for my critters:
I keep 9 neon tetras, a bristlenose Pleco, 5 cats, 2 dogs, crickets, beetles, stick insects, frogs and Brine shrimp.

I'm afraid your minnows aren't likely to last very long. They like very cool temps and you're keeping a tropical tank(s). I've tried keeping minnows before (my husband is a fishing guide) but they never last more than a few weeks.

Anyhow, ask anything you like here! We love newbies. 
welcomeani.gif

TallTree01 said:
Hi Corey,
On this forum we like to promote well stocked tanks. This means not too many fish and not fish that grow too large. I fear that you have too many fish in your 29 gallon. What's the total stocking?
Now for my critters:
I keep 9 neon tetras, a bristlenose Pleco, 5 cats, 2 dogs, crickets, beetles, stick insects, frogs and Brine shrimp.

This Old Spouse said:
I'm afraid your minnows aren't likely to last very long. They like very cool temps and you're keeping a tropical tank(s). I've tried keeping minnows before (my husband is a fishing guide) but they never last more than a few weeks.

Anyhow, ask anything you like here! We love newbies. 
welcomeani.gif
Thank you both, but I know all this already I didn't care for the minnows, my mom thought it would be nice to save them. They all died within a couple days from temperature shock most likely. As of now there are still 4 minnows and all my original fish! Thanks for your concern and tip though!

TallTree01 said:
Hi Corey,
Now for my critters:
Now to reply about your critters, very nice! My unmentioned critters are 4 chickens and 3 hermits!

It's not just the minnows. The Plecos and algae eaters may be a recipe for disaster. I need the species of algae eaters the number of the and everything else currently living in that tank.

TallTree01 said:
It's not just the minnows. The Plecos and algae eaters may be a recipe for disaster. I need the species of algae eaters the number of the and everything else currently living in that tank.
Alright I'll be right back, btw how do I tell if someone has posted on my topic? My notifications aren't working.

hello corey my name is sean and all i have in my tank at the moment are some temporary goldfish but i'll tell you when i get some other fish. :p

my notifications aren't working ether :p

az9 said:
hello corey my name is sean and all i have in my tank at the moment are some temporary goldfish but i'll tell you when i get some other fish.
tongue2.gif

my notifications aren't working ether
tongue2.gif
Hey Sean, hopefully you aren't killing the goldfish 
blink.png
 haha anyway nice to meet you!

This is what I dO:
I press the little blue and green speech bubbles beside every section. After this they should turn grey this means that you have read everything in there. Whenever there's a new thread or post the grey speech bubbles turn green and blue again.

TallTree01 said:
Alright, 2 golden algae eaters, 1 pleco, 6 rosy reds, 1 Albino Cory,and 2 Synodontis Longirostris 

What type is the Pleco? If you don't know, start a thread in the catfish Pleco section and include some pics. They should be able to ID it for you. I'm afraid that the golden algae eaters get up to a foot long so should be given back to your LFS. The minnows should go back also as they're coldwater fish. The synodontis get to 2 feet so definitely need to be rehomed. The albino Cory can stay as long as you get him some friends as they are much happier in big shoals.
Did you say you had guppies as well?
I'd love to see pics of your tank and hope that your fish tank gets sorted out quickly. :)

Thank you for all your help! We didn't know much about these fish since they were given to us by a friend. We've had the algae eaters for over 3 years so I don't think we're talking about the same things, as for the guppies I'll try and get some pictures up tonight!

what do you mean hopefully im not killing the goldfish, why would i do that?

az9 said:
what do you mean hopefully im not killing the goldfish, why would i do that?
I was joking you said, "Temporary goldfish", meaning they aren't here to stay. haha.

Most reactions

Back