New Little Threadfin Rainbowfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So...I'd never made an impulse buy (on anything let alone fish ...I'm very calculated and like to research) until last Monday.

My local (well an hour away) aquarium store had just reopened in a new location which I went to check out.  Looks amazing by the way.

I walked past a beautiful tank filled with these adorable little fish that I'd never seen before.

I inquired about them and learned that they stay as small as I was seeing and they are very peaceful and would do well with my endlers.

I couldn't say no...even though I didn't need anymore inhabitants in my tiny tank.  I already had 4 endlers and an amano shrimp and my nerite snail.

And I didn't want to just add one because I always feel like I should bring two in at a time so they have a friend (which is probably ridiculous but if someone plucked me out of my life I'd hope to be taken with a friend and not alone when thrown into a new life).

Anyway, here's a fish in the bag shot along with the link to a video on my instagram....hopefully it works:
https://instagram.com/p/BHSsVcLjuKI/

IMG_8079.JPG

I'd love to know if anyone here has any of these little guys.

Threadfin rainbows are a beautiful fish (and yes I have a few of them myself 
yes.gif
 )​  they have very small mouths so keep that in mind when feeding and they like being in a school, much like corydoras and their the more the merrier attitude. I would suggest having at least 2 females per male that way one female is not harassed constantly by the males and with at least 3 males their sparring can be spread out a bit instead of one dominate male constantly going for the other sole male in the tank. I love watching my male threadfins display and spar, they are so quick its almost impossible to capture it on camera. If you get the chance feed your Threadfins live mosquito wrigglers they LOVE them and they will help get the Threadfins into breeding condition. The male threadfin will stake out a possible spawning site (usually a tangle of weeds) and then display and try to coax the female in to breed while also being ready to see of any other males that may enter the breeding/ spawning zone.
 One of my male Threadfins

Another personal little favourite I have is Blue Eyes
wub.png
 I  have both Pacific Blue Eyes and Spotted Blue Eyes either would work well with Threadfin Rainbows but I think the Spotted Blue Eyes might be a slightly better combination because of their small size, peaceful nature and equally fantastic breeding displays and sparring. There are another couple of Blue Eye species that I have been tossing up getting both native to Australia but I need some of my other fish species to reduce in number first.  ​

These are some Pacific Blue Eyes I recently caught in a local waterway

Not the best picture but a male Pacific Blue Eye

My little Spotted Blue Eyes live in a tank with small native shrimp mainly Blackmore River Shrimp, Chameleon Shrimp, Darwin Red Nosed Shrimp, and Darwin Algae Shrimp along with Notopala snails, an unknown native snail and dreaded MTS and Ramshorns.

Baccus said:
Threadfin rainbows are a beautiful fish (and yes I have a few of them myself 
yes.gif
 )​  they have very small mouths so keep that in mind when feeding and they like being in a school, much like corydoras and their the more the merrier attitude. I would suggest having at least 2 females per male that way one female is not harassed constantly by the males and with at least 3 males their sparring can be spread out a bit instead of one dominate male constantly going for the other sole male in the tank. I love watching my male threadfins display and spar, they are so quick its almost impossible to capture it on camera. If you get the chance feed your Threadfins live mosquito wrigglers they LOVE them and they will help get the Threadfins into breeding condition. The male threadfin will stake out a possible spawning site (usually a tangle of weeds) and then display and try to coax the female in to breed while also being ready to see of any other males that may enter the breeding/ spawning zone.
 One of my male Threadfins

Another personal little favourite I have is Blue Eyes
wub.png
 I  have both Pacific Blue Eyes and Spotted Blue Eyes either would work well with Threadfin Rainbows but I think the Spotted Blue Eyes might be a slightly better combination because of their small size, peaceful nature and equally fantastic breeding displays and sparring. There are another couple of Blue Eye species that I have been tossing up getting both native to Australia but I need some of my other fish species to reduce in number first.  ​

These are some Pacific Blue Eyes I recently caught in a local waterway

Not the best picture but a male Pacific Blue Eye

My little Spotted Blue Eyes live in a tank with small native shrimp mainly Blackmore River Shrimp, Chameleon Shrimp, Darwin Red Nosed Shrimp, and Darwin Algae Shrimp along with Notopala snails, an unknown native snail and dreaded MTS and Ramshorns.

Oh I've never seen those little blue eyed guys!!  How cool!!  And I looooove those spotted ones...their fins are soo pretty!!!

And man your threadfins are gorgeous!!!

All wonderful info and suggestions about the male to female and breeding and such but my tank is super tiny therefore I only keep males and just a few at a time as to not overload the little eco system.  

Like I said originally ...this was my first impulse buy so when I got home I googled them (as they sat in their bag floating in the tank) and I thought "oh poop" as I read that they like to be in large numbers and they're sometimes so peaceful that they get shoved aside during feedings and they need at least a 20 gallon.... ugh, ugh and another ugh.    

All I can do now is hope that they are happy and healthy.  They seem to be and they also seem to shoal around with the endlers.  Everyone seems to get along well.  

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back