New Light Is Pink?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
I've had to buy a new tube for me 5 gall betta tank. I took the old one along. It said 6W 10000K. The new one is an arcadia one, 6W, doesn't say what K, but says it's optimum for photosynthesis and makes reds and blues look nice.
But it's horrible. It's pink, really pink. Is this normal? And it seems really dull compared to the old one. Have I bought the wrong sort?
:thanks:
 
arcadia sell two bulbs, a freshwater bulb and a tropical bulb (don't quote me on those names but its something like that)
anyway one has a yellow tint and yes one has a red/blue tint (looks purple)

yellow is for high light output and the purple is specifically for plant growth (boxes are same colour as the light btw)

In setups that have two fitted bulbs (i.e. the fluval tanks) you usually find you have one of each,
 
I have two plant growth tubes and one high-light. The plant growth ones are pretty pink, but not super-pink.
 
i have a similar bulb in my panted tank (10000K) and it does make it look pink...great for plants tho. theyre growing terrifically since added.
not to worry. now plant it up :hyper: he will LOVE it.
 
Thanks for the replies guys :) So 10000K is really pink? But the last one said it was 10000K and it was much whiter?
It looks hideous and makes him look a horrible colour. The tank only has space for 1 tube. Do plants grow OK with the high light output one?
 
They'll grow, but not as well as with the one that's designed to make them grow. Obviously I guess. :)
 
if you have high lighting in a small tank (a high watt/gal) you will need to run co2 and dose ferts.
 
I have three lights in my big 215L tropical tank, one of which is that pink colour. It does make certain colours look incredible, i'll give it that but i get sick of looking at it after a while as green is lacking and the tank is full of plants.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top