New large aquariums, diy stands, using sump for first time

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

blue acara

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all . This thread is going to be a diary of my progress with some aquariums I purchased on e bay and were delivered last night. I was a fairly active member on these forums some years ago but I had a stroke and was out of the hobby for a while. My fishkeeping flame never died though, and Iā€™m back!

I have 3 tanks and one large sump. 150, 125 and 5 gallons each. The sump must be about 80. Dimensions to follow.

The aquariums I bought have no stands, plus 2 donā€™t have tops. I am going to build it. Never done much diy in the past and am looking forward to the challenge. Never used a sump tank before either. Good opportunity to learn more about our hobby then! So much information online now it should be a breeze . If anyone has suggestions as we go along Iā€™d be happy for the help.

Thatā€™s my introduction anyways. Pics and more to follow

Why are you running all 3 tanks on one sump?

Have at least 12 inches of space above the sump so you can get in it and clean it when you need to.
Have a cover on the sump to reduce evaporation from it and to reduce condensation building up under the stand. Use 4, 5 or 6mm thick coverglass so it is less likely to chip or crack.
Make sure any pump you use can easily pump the volume of water from the sump to the tank/s. Pumps lose water pressure the higher the water goes up, so if in doubt, go for a bigger pump and bleed some excess water off with a T-piece and tap.

Over engineer the stand. Use thicker materials and lots of braces & cross members.

I wasnā€™t very clear. The sump will filter one tank. Have a couple of canister filters to do the other one and a sponge on the third. Thanks for your input though bud. Updates to come

upload_2019-3-23_8-20-28.jpeg

upload_2019-3-23_8-33-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Meet blob, lefty and piglet.

Thatā€™s the current fish in the 5 gallon. Not small fish! Really needed the bigger aquarium! Been doing 80% water changes twice a week to support them. New tank soon fishes.

Itā€™s a pain to reduce pics and post. Can anyone recommend a free apple phone type site to make it easier?

One big tank will be fancy goldfish. A couple of every type Iā€™m thinking. These goldfish are the first Iā€™ve ever kept. Not the most interesting possibly but I love them. So tame. The other aquariums Iā€™m undecided. Tropical definitely. African cichlids, maybe? Never had them before. First job is getting these fancy goldfish a good home though. Suggestions on the large and small tanks anyone?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back