New Gourami Tank... I Think I Messed Up Already!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KristyKokinda

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Brand new here and actually my first forum post ever so be gentle... I haven't had a tropical tank in about 20 years (my last tank was salt about 10 years ago).  After moving I decided it was time to put back up one of my tanks (for both my and my cats enjoyment).  A 55gallon hexagon.  After approx. 2 months of running, I determined it was time to add fish .  I always enjoyed Gourami in the past and decided to dedicate a tank to just them (apparently my first mistake).                                                                                          
I now have (2) Pearl females, (2) Neon Blue Dwarf Males and (2) Fire Honey Males(?).  I made sure there was plenty plants and hiding places, several inches of air at the top and floating plants (I did remember a couple of things).  They have now been in the tank for several weeks with no issues.  All good eaters right away (mico pellets 2x day and blood worms for snacks) and no aggression issues.  Is this going to last or did I just mess up my whole tank by putting all these gouramis in the same tank?  Did I just max out my tank capacity?  Also I want to add a bottom feeder to pick up food that they miss and handle algae as it comes.  Remember its a hexagon so the bottom is a smaller space than most tanks so nothing that will get too big or require a lot of swimming space.  Also any suggestions on additional food or treats.  Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 175
Your tank looks good.you may have a few issues later on with more males than females but just keep an eye on them.its up to you but you really need to only feed once a day.i think the cat likes it too.

Love the cat - I used to have two black cats.  Bless them.

Tank looks nice too BTW.  If you don't want to add fish to help clean things up you could try some Amano shrimp.

Snails are also excellent scavengers, as they will eat any and all organic matter which no fish will.  Plus, substrate fish have specific dietary needs and cannot exist on scraps, so they should be added only if you specifically want them as fish.

I agree on the gourami; all males are territorial, but the degree of this depends upon the species (those you have are not the worst in this regard, so lucked out there) and the individual fish.  The water parameters, environment, and other fish present all factor into how an individual fish reacts.  I would suggest you increase the floating plants.  All gourami are surface fish generally speaking, and they cruise among floating vegetation.  Providing this will increase their well-being and lessen stress.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back