New Gourami Friends

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Technically you are at your limit but...... :X assuming you have damn good filtration on the tank you could probably get another gouramie in there. Maybe two. Rules can be bent a little IF the tanks are kept in tip top condition ALL the time. Hence why I run two filters in my bigger tanks. All those fry etc make alot of mess.
Hugs,
P.

I too have learned the hard way. In the futere, 3-spots will always be the last fish I add to a tank. In the 20g I added the corys after the Gold gourami and she can be mean to them, mostly at feeding time. In the 55g, I added the giants after the opaline and she picks on them a lot. I am about to move the tank decorations and plants around (if work ever gives me a break) and move the gold into the 55g and the giants into the 20g. I think it will be more peaceful for everyone but the 3-spots who will probably focus on each other. The opaline doesn't mess with the pearls who were there first, so maybe there is hope for anyone who adds their 3-spots last. I love my gouramis, but the 3-spots sure can be bullies.

Hooray!! dwarfs back at the store safe and well........
im happy to stick with 1 female opaline now - unless she would benefit from a partner?

NAh, she'll be ok without. Am happy the others have survived the night ok. Maybe if you move to a bigger tank in the future look for some companions for her (Maybe two more females or 2 f and 1 m if you're willing to risk breeding) but if she seems content without other gourmaies it's probably best to keep her that way.
Briarmoor I hope aren't seriously going to out giant gouramies in a 20g!! :S Are you aware of the size these fish reach? We are talking 24+ inches here and they can be far more aggressive then even three spots once they reach a good size. :crazy: Even the 55g is too small in the long run and they can grow quite fast compared to other large growing fish. Please don't put them in a 20g. :no:
Hugs,
P.

First off, the smaller tank I suggested earlier was for the DWARF gouramies - not the opaline. Like I said, a 10-15 gallon is ok for 2 males temporarily though a 20 is eventualy required as a minnimum as they become more territorial as they settle in to their new environment. :)

Miss Dib Dabs - Briarmoor, I'm pretty sure, is not talking about osphronemus goramy - she's reffering to colisa fasciata - which gets to 4".

As for putting more gouramies in your current tank Gavilb, considering your current stock, you are best off sticking to just your female opaline. Sailfin mollies are usualy under-estimated as they get to 6" and danios preffer the upper layers - just like gouramies - so they would be competing for space. You are already fully stocked anyway and adding just one more opaline would lead to problems rather than offer solutions. If anything, a few more of the tetras would make a good addition.

It's good to here the dwarfs were ok :thumbs:.

:*) Ah I apologise. I thought they'd meant real giant gouramies. Having seen some at nearly full size they really aren't suitable for little tanks. :lol:
What she said....and I said. :thumbs:
Hugs,
P.

Most reactions

Back