New Girl Here

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BamaGirl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been a lurker for the past couple of weeks and everyone here is so friendly and willing to help with everyones problems. I went to superpetz today to get a metal stand for a future 30 gal. tank, but they had a special going on a a 55 gal. tank for $65! So I called DH and he said to get it instead. I currently have a 10 gal. set up and will set up the 55 in a few weeks when I go to get the stand for it. I can't wait and am going to try to do a really natural theme. I look forward to meeting all the members and getting some great advice!
Michelle :D

Michelle,
Welcome to the happy fish world. LOL I also just got a new 55, so much fun. Lots of extra room for more fish. I have become very addicted to keeping fish. You said you have a 10 gallon? Who is in it? Also, i wanted to tell you that i dont know where you are located, but i found a 55 stand at Walmart for $75.00. Alot cheeper than the ones you see at the lfs. Glad you found us. Sandy

Hey there,
So glad to meet you gals :rolleyes: (or guys). So far in my 10 gal. I have a pl*co, 2 gold dust mollies, 1 white cloud minnow, 3 cories, 7 ghost shrimp and 18 molly babies in a breeder net. A girl at work is giving me a 10 gal. so I can put the babies in cause they are quickly outgrowing their net and their only 1 1/2 weeks old! I forgot how much fun it was to have fish. I found my 10 gal. at a yard sale for $2 with the hood, I also forgot how costly it can get too! But at least the 55 gal was only $5 more than the 30 gal. I wanted. I also can't wait to get the 55 set up and sit back and relax after a hard day at work! Thanks for all the kind words and welcome!
MIchelle

Hi BamaGirl. :)

Glad you decided to take the plunge and join. :)

What are you going to put in the 55g?

Other than the fact that you root for the wrong team, I'm sure you'll fit in here. :thumbs: :D

Hey SMB!
I can't wait to get everything set up, I even printed off your fishless cycling info. I will probably stick to some corys, mollies,a pl*co, and whatever ends up breeding in there. I am pretty partial to livebearers, I think its so neat to watch them have babies and it will give me an excuse to get more tanks! Plus I have small kids so it is an experience for them as well.
Michelle

Welcome to the group!

Just one thing, you are aware of just how big Common Plecs actually grow, are you? A 2.5 fit monster might have trouble in a 10 gal tank, or even a 55 gal if it's full of livebearers.

Hi Alien Anna!
Thanks for asking about the pl*co, right now he's about 3" and I only got him a month ago. He has grown since then. I am getting another 10 Gallon from a friend tomorrow and I will split the fishies up to avoid overcrowding. He has also been pooing alot lately. The past two days he's had poo coming out of him and it's been twice as long as him before he finally "pinches" it off :D . I might be feeding him a little too much?
MIchelle

BamaGirl said:
Hi Alien Anna!
Thanks for asking about the pl*co, right now he's about 3" and I only got him a month ago. He has grown since then. I am getting another 10 Gallon from a friend tomorrow and I will split the fishies up to avoid overcrowding. He has also been pooing alot lately. The past two days he's had poo coming out of him and it's been twice as long as him before he finally "pinches" it off :D . I might be feeding him a little too much?
MIchelle
Yes, common plecs do poo a lot. That's another reason they're not considered good fish for smaller tanks. I don't know if you're feeding him too much - most of us do overfeed our fish at some point. However, starving won't stop the inevitable. He is going to grow and he'll soon be too big :(

Hi, BamaGirl!

You will love your 55 gal. tank!!!!

I wanted to ask you if you have a Petland Discount near you. It's a chain I go to sometimes here in New York. I find their tanks, stands etc. are the least expensive around. But, if you haven't priced them yet, you will find that the hood and light fixture are more expensive than either of those two items. If you're on a budget (like I am) why not start looking for a used hood?

I find that the independant fish shops are the best places to shop for fish and other items because they get to know you and their other customers. Perhaps one of them will have or will know someone that wants to sell these items used. The money you save might buy your plants or gravel.

Good luck!

hey michelle- we share that cool name :nod: :nod:
yard sales roooock! i picked up a loaded 25 gallon (need light and heater) for only 21 bucks on saturday... omg omg omg i love yard sales!!!
Welcome to the forum!

Hi, And welcome to a great site!!! Plenty of knowledge and great advice.

Slán Joe!!

Most reactions

Back