New Fish

silky

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Points
0
heyyy everyone!!!
i was just wondering whether it would be okay to put malawian cichlids in an aqaurium with a red tail black shark,
i only want to know this because i really want some malawi cichlids but dont want my stupid brother to have my red tail black shark as i have had him for 2 years :rolleyes:
my tank is a well established 70 litre tank
thanks
 
No Im afraid not, Im no expert on malawi's but Im pretty sure you need at least a 30 gallon long tank and their species only really. Plus your tank is a little small for your red tail when it reaches full size, that will also need a 30 gallon long.
 
In all honesty, not knowing much about Malawis, I would say no, when I was looking about for info on Malawis, I was told that my 3ft 50g tank wouldnt really be big enough for them and a 4ft tank would be better, although thats not gospel, I belive the bigger the tank the better is the general consensus.

Also I wouldnt mix them with a RTBS, Malawis are aggressive fish and have a different social structure to other fish and I would fear for the RTBS.
 
No Im afraid not, Im no expert on malawi's but Im pretty sure you need at least a 30 gallon long tank and their species only really. Plus your tank is a little small for your red tail when it reaches full size, that will also need a 30 gallon long.
thanks johnny :good: im planning on moving my redtail black shark into the 270 litre tank i am getting for my birthday.
my lfs said that although the tank is small, golden malawi cichlids can be put into it ( which i though wa a bit strange)
 
By a golden one do you mean one like this?:

CLICK

Or are you not sure? Like I say Im no malawi expert so someone with more experience might be able to help you more but being a small cichlid that only grows to 4" I'd assume it would be ok in a species only tank, what are the tank dimensions in inches?

Is it specifically African cichlids your interested in?Or is it any cichlids?
 
yeah that is the one, the man at my lfs said that if i put them in on their own they would be fine,
im interested in any kind of cichlid, is there any smaller ones that i could add?
thanks
 
Have a look at Bolivian ram's they grow to the same sort of size as the golden cichlids and can be kept in a community tank due to their peaceful nature.
 
thankyou i have just looked at them and i am going to order some now!!!!!!! :good:
do you know of any tropical fish sale sites on the internet ( apart from aquaticlifedirect.com)
thanks
 
thanks guys i will have a look on there now :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top