New Fish Tank

spectrum

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
379
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Derbyshire
Hi,
One of my friends has seen my tank and thinks its awsome,
he has decided to get a tank of his own.
He is getting an 80 litre one (don't know what make yet, I said that some come with filter and heater included, I am going to offer him some filter media from my tank)
I told him that sand is best and to try to get liveplants.
I said that corys are good and maybe a pair of rams?
Any advice on what fish to get, he is a total begginer so cheap and cheerful is best really.
 
a pair of rams will ned 90L( 20G ) atleast so not sure about that, have to get some more feedback. the corys would be ok.
anyother fish he likes??
 
as a first fish i wouldnt recommend rams as they are a tad picky about water conditions
scot :)
 
Seconded, start with something hardy. And don't buy a new tank! Much better to buy good condition 2nd hand, you get so much more for your money.

Make sure he's familiar with cycling. Depending on the tank dimensions danio's might be a good first fish (if the tanks 3ft long or more - they need plenty of swimming room.) Cory's are great but should be added after a few months, once the tanks started to settle down - they're fantastic fish but can drop like flies if added to a tank thats still quite newly setup.

Some of the rasbora species are also quite hardy, as are cardinal tetra's, white cloud mountain minnows etc.
I'll let someone else post some good beginners fish because I'm running out of ideas, but theres plenty more than I've listed.
 
Thanks Guys :good:
I will mention all of this to him.
The reason i asked was because i have a small tank myself i don't have any experience of many fish over 3cm :blush: XD
Thanks Again, spectrum
 
i would say he is better to get a 90l+ tank (makes life easier in the long run)

you can get tanks witch are the same width and length but a bit higer for very similar money but dont take up additional floor space

first fish wise i would leave the chichlids as they can be teritorial and not exactly hardy

danio's, tetra's, barb's (some can be a bit nippy), rainbow fish and the minnows are quite hardy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top