New fish questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance of a picture of the fish and tank?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

--------------------------
Guppies regularly have bacterial and protozoan infections on them at the shop and can die from that.

If there was any cleaning products or chemicals in the tank, it would poison the fish.

How did the fish die, where they gasping at the surface, dashing about, doing barrel rolls, anything that didn't seem like a fish just casually swimming around?

--------------------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

I’m at work atm. I’ll take one when I get home

Yes, but then you are narrowing down your options for fish. Soft water species will be healthier in your source water.

It really does make life much easier for the aquarist if you stay with fish suited to your source water. Weekly partial water changes of 60%+ are easy when you can just run tap water and use a conditioner to dechlorinate, as opposed to having to prepare the fresh water in some container to get the parameters right.

And with small tanks, as this 60 liter (15 gallon) tank is, you will have many more options with soft water species as there are many that are "nano" in size.
I agree with that. Most of us dahn sahf are very envious of your water and the variety of fish that are suited to it. I know from experience what a PITA it is having to treat your water to change its characteristics, as well as the costs involved.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back