New Deltec Mce 300

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

natwood

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've just set up my Deltec MCE 300 that arrived this morning. I've followed all the instructions but no foam is reaching the collection cup. Is this something that will happen in a few days or should it be doing it now?

Skimmers can take a while to "bed in" and the foam created can rise and fall for a few days when they are new.

However you should be able to get something out of it now. I haven't used this skimmer so can't tell you exactly how to adjust it im afraid but there are normally 3 factors that will decide how high the foam is.

1) The height of the skimmer in the water. I don't believe this is a factor for the deltec skimmers but on some skimmers you will have to raise or lower them in the water to get the water level right in the skimmer.

2) Water level from the pump. Normally most skimmers will have a way to control the water flow through the pump. Normally this is on the output part there will be a valve which will let less or more water through. Restricting the amount of water coming out of the skimmer will increase the water level in the skimmer and increase the foam height. If the control is on the pump (ie on the input side) then increase the amount of water flow will increase the foam height (its not normally done on the input side though).

3) Airflow. Normally there is either an airline tube with a valve on the end or something on the skimmer unit above the water surface where the air is sucked in. Increasing the amount of air going in will increase the amount of foam produced.

So to adjust your skimmer (assuming with this one you dont have to raise or lower it in the water):
On the water output restrict the flow as much as possible.
On the air intake open the valve as much as possible.

This should give you the maximum amount of foam. Now slowly open the valve that controls the water output to lower the foam until it is about halfway up the funnel in your collection cup.

The other thing to note is if you dont have any fish in the system yet you wont have anything to skim so there wont be much foam produced.

Skimmers can take a while to "bed in" and the foam created can rise and fall for a few days when they are new.

However you should be able to get something out of it now. I haven't used this skimmer so can't tell you exactly how to adjust it im afraid but there are normally 3 factors that will decide how high the foam is.

1) The height of the skimmer in the water. I don't believe this is a factor for the deltec skimmers but on some skimmers you will have to raise or lower them in the water to get the water level right in the skimmer.

2) Water level from the pump. Normally most skimmers will have a way to control the water flow through the pump. Normally this is on the output part there will be a valve which will let less or more water through. Restricting the amount of water coming out of the skimmer will increase the water level in the skimmer and increase the foam height. If the control is on the pump (ie on the input side) then increase the amount of water flow will increase the foam height (its not normally done on the input side though).

3) Airflow. Normally there is either an airline tube with a valve on the end or something on the skimmer unit above the water surface where the air is sucked in. Increasing the amount of air going in will increase the amount of foam produced.

So to adjust your skimmer (assuming with this one you dont have to raise or lower it in the water):
On the water output restrict the flow as much as possible.
On the air intake open the valve as much as possible.

This should give you the maximum amount of foam. Now slowly open the valve that controls the water output to lower the foam until it is about halfway up the funnel in your collection cup.

The other thing to note is if you dont have any fish in the system yet you wont have anything to skim so there wont be much foam produced.

All that I can find to adjust it is the airflow on the airline tube with a valve. Maybe it's because I have no fish in it. I will do later this evening so I shall see over the next few days!

Nat, you have nothing to skim yet :good:

Seffie x

Lol, ok, thanks for that Seffie. I've turned it off for now. I've got my 2 clowns now though, so just drip acclimating them. When should I start the skimmer running, or should I just leave it on?

Most reactions

Back