New Cory's are dying?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kept cories for over 7 years, a brilliant fish. As long as you have a mature filter and a bit of surface agitation I wouldnā€™t worry too much about aeration as they do swim to the surface to take a gulp of air when needed. I always had issues keeping my cories in ph 7.6 and gh 10 water until I started to use RO. They certainly do much better in slightly acidic soft water, I kept getting bacterial infections with the first few I had.

They love to sift through sand and pick out live bloodworms, having anything but sand imo is neglectful to this species.

Any chance of some pictures of the fish?

Is the filter established/ cycled?

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks or until this matter is resolved.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Do you have a bigger tank to move the Corydoras into?

I did see the video. One video, however is not going to change my feelings. I can pull up a dozen more stating why sand should be used. He only spoke about breeding. Breeding has nothing to do with why sand should be used. Itā€™s to protects their barbelā€™s. He never even mentioned them. Not a very reliable video, IMO. Why would you risk it based on one video? Iā€™m puzzled. Play sand is very inexpensive. I was just trying to help you with your Cory when you asked. Take my advice as you wish. :)

Jeez, sensitive much? The video is simply to pose a conversation, not ā€œchange your feelingsā€.

That video is a good example of why you cannot trust most of what appears online. I know nothing personally about the individual, but from listening to him he does seem to have a questioning nature but unfortunately he is either not able to understand the facts or chooses to ignore them.

As for going to Peru and finding cories over a "sharp" substrate...that needs to be taken in context. And I've no idea what that is. I have seen videos and photos of cories in creeks where there were largish rocks and pebbles, but they sat on sand and there are plenty of open sand areas. For me to use that one example and foolishly claim that it proves that cories are fine over a rocky substrate would be the height of ignorance.

Corydoras are filter feeders, this is programmed into their DNA so they "expect" it. All species live over sand, sometimes mixed with stones or mud, but sand is still basic. There is also a serious bacterial problem with non-sand substrates. And the so-called plant substrates have repeatedly been shown to be detrimental and downright dangerous to cories.

Providing a sand substrate in the aquarium is essential if you care about the fish, and for me that is the bottom line.

Please stop commenting on my posts. Youā€™ve not once attempted to actually answer the question. You seem obsessed with interjecting and asserting your knowledge. Once again, please stop commenting on my posts.

Any chance of some pictures of the fish?

Is the filter established/ cycled?

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks or until this matter is resolved.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Do you have a bigger tank to move the Corydoras into?

Theyā€™ll be going into a 45 gallon after 3-4 weeks of quarantine in the 3 gallon. Why do you ask?

Please stop commenting on my posts. Youā€™ve not once attempted to actually answer the question. You seem obsessed with interjecting and asserting your knowledge. Once again, please stop commenting on my posts.

This is a public forum and when you or any member posts inaccurate or misleading information, you can expect any of us to comment.

This is a public forum and when you or any member posts inaccurate or misleading information, you can expect any of us to comment.

Your ego is so inflated, you canā€™t even see that thereā€™s no misleading information posted here. All I did was post a link where there are legitimately hundreds of people saying their coryā€™s do well On gravel.

anything that goes against your pre-conceived notions, you call ā€œmisleadingā€. Get over yourself, and stop commenting on my posts. you arent here to help.

Alright. Move along now buddy
@TacomaToker, youā€™ve been warned before. We will NOT tolerate rudeness to another member. @Byron is a contributing member of this forum and very much respected. You should work to gain the same respect! Points will be assessed next time.

Last edited:
H
@TacomaToker, youā€™ve been warned before. We will NOT tolerate rudeness to another member. @Byron is a contributing member of this forum and very much respected. You should work to gain the same respect! Points will be assessed next time.

Heā€™s not owed my respect, he only ever comments to express how knowledgeable he is. He claims it would be the ā€œheight of ignoranceā€ to put coryā€™s on gravel. Heā€™s completely unwilling to accept any new information, and heā€™s condescending.

Everyone who has commented on your post is trying to help you. You don't have to take any of the advice given but we are trying to tell you what's best for your fish.

In that case, Iā€™m also trying to help Byron. He doesent have to take any of the advice given, but Iā€™m trying to tell him whatā€™s best for the way he interacts with people on this site.

@Byron like everyone else on this forum deserves respect. He has helped me and many other members with our fish numerous times. He has given you nothing but helpful information on this thread. I watched the video you posted and I can clearly see one of the cory's mouths around 2:07 has a sore around his mouth and it seems to be infected which was most likely caused by trying to dig in the hard substrate. The cories barbels also seem short and worn down by the gravel. Everyone who commented on your thread is trying to help your fish so that you don't run into further issues. Please be respectful and kind to everyone on this forum.

Last edited:
H

Heā€™s not owed my respect, he only ever comments to express how knowledgeable he is. He claims it would be the ā€œheight of ignoranceā€ to put coryā€™s on gravel. Heā€™s completely unwilling to accept any new information, and heā€™s condescending.

In that case, Iā€™m also trying to help Byron. He doesent have to take any of the advice given, but Iā€™m trying to tell him whatā€™s best for the way he interacts with people on this site.
You are the ONLY one who has issues with @Byron. Perhaps you should look in the mirror. You have a serious attitude problem. Post reported and points assigned.

Last edited:
I also have read that sand is much preferred for cories as gravel can lead to damaged barbells. Also most cories prefer soft water. Refer to a site such as Seriously Fish for more information.

Ok people.. this thread has run its course and is getting too argumentative to be continued. Tacoma Toker: advice has been given.. take it as you please. This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back