New Cichlid Tank

Fowlersrs

New Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Evening all, I have a spare metre long tank in my spare room and im keen to do something with it, I would like to try and keep some of the smaller species of cichlids possibly?

would this be possible, im really taken in by there colours as I use to keep marines and some of these cichlids are just as pretty.

I have a few questions however...

Would RO water be suitable for setting up? this is how I normally setup my tanks but I know cichlids have different requirements, are there only requirements a higher KH? or is there more too it than that..

Whats gonna be a sensible stocking level in this size tank aswell? if im going with the smaller chichlid species, the tank is 100cm x 45cm(h) x 35(d)...

and a last questions, ive got a male platy that is getting bulied in my planted tank by 2 other males, would it be possible for him to be rehomed with chichlids or will he just get a worse time in this tank?

thanks for any advice
 
A 1 meter long tank is about the minimum size tank you want for Cichlids, so I would say that you would be okay to go along with a Cichlid setup.

Cichlids prefer/need hard water, and a pH around 8.0 or a little higher is ideal.

As far as RO goes, I would not use pure RO.

RO lacks in beneficial minerals for your fish, and has a very low Oxygen level.

If you are going to use RO, I would at least mix it half and half with de-chlorinated tap water, and then you can buy products (API has good ones) that give Cichlids the Beneficial minerals that they need.

As far as the platy goes, I really dont think it would be a good idea to mix other fish with Cichlids (depends on what kind of Cichlids you are going to get), just because Cichlids are aggressive territorial fish. When other fish of different species are present, Cichlids can get pretty mean, and with your size tank, that would not be a good idea.

Good tank mates for African Cichlids are Catfish. :good:

If you go with African Cichlids, I would say that 6-8 would be okay in your size tank, maybe a little closer to 6.

If you do decide to get Cichlids, make sure you only get 1 female with your stocking. If you have 2 or more females, the dominant one will really bully the other female(s) around, mainly for breeding purposes.

EDIT: I just read that you should keep about a 1 male to 3 female ratio in your tank. So if anyone can help out here on what would be okay to have regarding male to female ratios, that would be great?

Hopes this helps! :good:
-FHM
 
what are the full dimensions? 1m is just 3feet so if the tank isn't fairly tall and wide, then your stocking options would be limited
 
Evening all, I have a spare metre long tank in my spare room and im keen to do something with it, I would like to try and keep some of the smaller species of cichlids possibly?

would this be possible, im really taken in by there colours as I use to keep marines and some of these cichlids are just as pretty.

I have a few questions however...

Would RO water be suitable for setting up? this is how I normally setup my tanks but I know cichlids have different requirements, are there only requirements a higher KH? or is there more too it than that..

Whats gonna be a sensible stocking level in this size tank aswell? if im going with the smaller chichlid species, the tank is 100cm x 45cm(h) x 35(d)...

and a last questions, ive got a male platy that is getting bulied in my planted tank by 2 other males, would it be possible for him to be rehomed with chichlids or will he just get a worse time in this tank?

thanks for any advice

-FHM
 
Thanks FHM, must be going blind
I didn't even notice the highlighted text in your post at first.


with a footprint of only 100cm x 35cm and an overall volume of only around 160L (42G) then you will need to choose occupants carefully,
 
Thanks FHM, must be going blind
I didn't even notice the highlighted text in your post ay first.


with a footprint of only 100cm x 35cm and an overall volume of only around 160L (42G) then you will need to choose occupants carefully,

:lol:

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top